Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E4OD shifting hard

ponyracer

Certified Ford Tech
How come we keep talking about the 4R70W/AODE when he says he has an E4OD? They are completely different transmissions. If the pan is almost a square its a 4R70W/AODE/AOD, if it is a rectangle with a cornoer cut out its an E4OD/4R100. I suggest that you check the MLP/TR sensor on the drivers side of the trans and see if there is any moisture in side the connector. They get moisture in them and short them out and cause all kinds of trans issues with or with out setting codes. This is a very common problem and if this is your trouble get some dielectric grease from the parts store and put some inside the electrical connector to help seal out the moisture/water.

If you are servicing the trans, there is a rubber plug at the base of the bellhousing that when removed and the converter rotated you will see the square headed drain plug. you should always drain the converter at every service. I also suggest draining and refilling the transfer case if you have a 4x4.

trans_pan_id.jpg

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
ponyracer said:
How come we keep talking about the 4R70W/AODE when he says he has an E4OD?
Vince was the one that said AODE/4r70w. See post number 18 ;)

ponyracer said:
If you are servicing the trans, there is a rubber plug at the base of the bellhousing that when removed and the converter rotated you will see the square headed drain plug. you should always drain the converter at every service.
Is there an echo in this thread? :D

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
shifted smooth as can be yesterday, even when I only let the thing run for 30 seconds or so before driving. there's no way the transmission was warm yet, but it did just fine.

It has to be something electrical. I'm going to get a wire brush and some dielectric grease and clean out the wire harness on the neutral safety switch (or whatever they changed the name to). There's a lot of grime and moisture all over that area.

Ryan

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Honestly I know NOTHING about transmissions

Ryan

You know nothing about so many things though lets not pigeon hole you with just transmissions...smiliestirthepot

Vince,

That's top notch tech work there finding that TSB for ryan so quick. Makes me wish I lived closer when I need some mechanical work done.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You know nothing about so many things though lets not pigeon hole you with just transmissions...smiliestirthepot

Vince,

That's top notch tech work there finding that TSB for ryan so quick. Makes me wish I lived closer when I need some mechanical work done.
only problem is that its the wrong one!

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Ok, to add to Ryans problem, my tranny ,E40D, shifts hard 1-2-3 EVERY day, don't matter how much of little I drive it. Should I do the same, A tranny service and kit (Or are they the same thing) and what else can I look at?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
yea man I'd change the fluid/filter for sure if it hasn't been done in awhile...along with draining the TC.....You could do a shift kit but there's a guy on another site that custom makes Valve bodies to what you want...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I love hard shiftin, ill trade up my buttery lame shiftin e4ods for urs. I want to put the 6.0L PSD trans in mine. Too bad it wont fit. They shift the best to me.

Paco

Tennessee Chapter member
My brother has a 95 f-150 5.8/ E4OD... We were driving through town one day and we were in a drive thru getting some food and out from under the truck a river of tranny fluid was running down the parking lot, right after we noticed that the truck died. It all started with the exact same symptoms, After a while it got to where it wouldnt want to find overdrive until it warmed up too. Riding back through town there was a trail of tranny fluid for a while. What was weird is that it never tried to slip or jerk or nothing, it ran perfectly fine until all of the fluid was gone in the drive thru.

I hope you guys figure out what it is and its nothing serious, my bros truck is still down.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
ok, does anyone have a step by step go-by that I can use. Never messed with a tranny before, and considering I am about to put 3500 miles on my truck in one shot, I don't want to jack it up.

blacksnapon

Staff member
ok, does anyone have a step by step go-by that I can use. Never messed with a tranny before, and considering I am about to put 3500 miles on my truck in one shot, I don't want to jack it up.
check line pressure first
LINE PRESSURE SPECIFICATIONS Gear Line Pressure — Idle Line Pressure — Stall
KPA PSI KPA PSI
P, N 379-448 55-65 — —
R 517-683 75-99 1655-1827 240-265
(D), 2 379-448 55-65 1076-1200 156-174
1 517-683 75-99 1082-1282 161-186

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
Snap, that made no sense to me.
KPA: ?
and what are the numbers. What do I need to check the line PSI with?
I'm ok with basic stuff, but I'm trying to learn, so you gotta break it down Barney style for me.

blacksnapon

Staff member
check line pressure first
LINE PRESSURE SPECIFICATIONS Gear Line Pressure — Idle Line Pressure — Stall
KPA PSI KPA PSI
P, N 379-448 55-65 — —
R 517-683 75-99 1655-1827 240-265
(D), 2 379-448 55-65 1076-1200 156-174
1 517-683 75-99 1082-1282 161-186

kpa (kilopascals) psi (pounds per square inch) p,n (park, neutral) 379-448 kpa, 55-65 psi----r (reverse) 517-683 (kpa), 75-99 (psi)(gear line pressure)----well, you get the idea. The pressure tap is on the driver side of the trans toward the front of the pan. Thats where you hook up the guage. Without pressure readings, you cant judge whats happening inside the trans.

DocWest8404

Corpsman Of Marines
kpa (kilopascals) psi (pounds per square inch) p,n (park, neutral) 379-448 kpa, 55-65 psi----r (reverse) 517-683 (kpa), 75-99 (psi)(gear line pressure)----well, you get the idea. The pressure tap is on the driver side of the trans toward the front of the pan. Thats where you hook up the guage. Without pressure readings, you cant judge whats happening inside the trans.

What kind of gauge do I need to use

E4OD's apparently arent fords best transmission.. as some of you know, ive been having a bad problem with mine.. prolonged 1-2 shift, and will neutral out from 2-3.. also likes to bounce from 3 to OD on the high way alot too..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts