Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E4OD Question

Bob

Post Whore in Training
I've got an opportunity to purchase a '95 F350 that was t-boned passenger side mid-bed and the frame is tweaked pretty bad. And no Tex, it's not a short bed.

Anyway, 351 & E4OD tranny. Is the E4OD in the F350s as big of a PITA in the '95s as it is in the '91s?

The guy only wants $500 for it, so I'm thinking I may get it anyway, spare motor, spare tranny, front clip swap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
IF by PITA, you mean full of mechanical bugs. I believe the answer is no, I thought Ford did a 'redesign' of the E4OD in '92 or so that worked out all the kinks. If it's a good running tranny, I'd say jump all over it. Gives you a good solid back up or immediate replacement...besides a cheap E4OD rebuild is gonna run you abput 1200.

Bob

Post Whore in Training
IF by PITA, you mean full of mechanical bugs. I believe the answer is no, I thought Ford did a 'redesign' of the E4OD in '92 or so that worked out all the kinks. If it's a good running tranny, I'd say jump all over it. Gives you a good solid back up or immediate replacement...besides a cheap E4OD rebuild is gonna run you abput 1200.

That's exactly what I mean and what I wanted to know. Gracias!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I remember reading a few years back somewhere along the line that 1995 was the best year for the E4OD. I can't explain why but I recall it being a good source.

Ryan

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Ryan i am recalling this as well.
I think ben is right on the money with the "Redesign" on the E4OD in 92,
Come to think of it, i have never re built a E4OD out of a mid 90's truck, ive done 5 that come to mind, and i want to say they were all 91's and i think one was a 88?

Michigan
Yes agreed! I LOVE the E4OD in my truck!

Bob

Post Whore in Training
Got the F350 picked up yesterday (Saturday) and towed to my friend's shop.

Got the bed removed and started cutting it up for scrap. The frame is a lot worse than I expected, but I'm not after it for the frame.

I'm taking the front clip and transplanting it on my truck, except the bumper, the bumper on this truck is puny, I'll be keeping mine. Got most of that off and set aside. Keeping the doors too. They're in great shape, aside from being manual windows and locks.

Already got a buyer for the cab, and another one for the front end and rear end.

Motor and tranny pulled. This guy kept great records of all the service that had been done to this truck. Odometer shows 216000 and the engine doesn't have even the slightest tic. Paperwork in the glove box shows the tranny was rebuilt at 191293. I'll definitely be keeping and using this one. I'm going to go ahead and rebuild this motor so I don't have anymore down time than absolutely necessary. I figure we can do the motor/tranny/front clip swap in 3 day weekend.

Question on this though. Do I need the computer from the '95 to make the engine/tranny work properly, or is it plug and play with what I have now? My '91 has cruise control, the '95 does not. I don't know if that affects anything.

Thanks again for the help.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds like you got a helluva deal man...and awesome on recouping the costs. As far as the engine swap is concerned. It'll be a plug and play. I just did the opposite swap. I swapped in a 91 460 into a 96 truck. So I'm assuming it should be the same with a 351.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've got an opportunity to purchase a '95 F350 that was t-boned passenger side mid-bed and the frame is tweaked pretty bad. And no Tex, it's not a short bed.

Anyway, 351 & E4OD tranny. Is the E4OD in the F350s as big of a PITA in the '95s as it is in the '91s?

The guy only wants $500 for it, so I'm thinking I may get it anyway, spare motor, spare tranny, front clip swap.

Heck I'd love to have the drive train out of it.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well according to my tranny shop which has redone 4 e40ds over years for me. The good year was 95+ at least thats the spects they build to .

U got a deal anyway I can't get a used e4 for $1000 and $2000+ for rebuild great deal

Bob

Post Whore in Training
Well according to my tranny shop which has redone 4 e40ds over years for me. The good year was 95+ at least thats the spects they build to .

U got a deal anyway I can't get a used e4 for $1000 and $2000+ for rebuild great deal

No denying that. And I'm already up $200 for selling the front/rear end and the cab. :nana:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I would take it(computer) anyway. Maybe you can sell it on ebay if you don't need it.

I just put a 95 trans into a 93, and it will work with the older computer, but you need the plugs from the 95 up harness. The plugs themselves into the solenoid pack and the MLP sensor are different. It requires a minimum of rewiring, the 95 harness uses one power wire split into 2 pins about 2 inches out of the connector, where the older harness used 2 separate power wires the whole way. Other than that, just match the wire colors up, and the one we did works fine, no flashing O/D light, has all gears and lockup.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts