Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E40D acting up

So I got a problem that I didn't expect. I finally got the wire harness for the solenoid pack and to.e to work on it. When I pulled the harness apart there was oil inside, any ideas where it could be from. Seams to be motor oil cause its gold to brown in color, but not sure why that would be. Could trans fluid back up through the wires???

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Ya got me there, bud. No idea.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
No, oil can not come up through the wiring. It is likely to be a more local source, like leaking valve covers at some point.

No chance of an motor oil leak because I've never had one for it to get to those wires, so I doubt valve cover. I did have my power steering line give out but not a huge leak, and that is on the other side of the engine. Only thing I can come up with is when I flushed my trans cooler lines, since the return line connects in the same vicinity as the harness. Anyways any ideas how to get the oil out, I'm guessing just keep dabbing with paper towel, maybe air, that's my guess.

Fellro

Staff member
Brake cleaner generally does the trick.

I going to need some help here with the mlps wires they seem to be the culprit. I just got done wiring the solenoid harness and the truck definitely was running better than before, with the check engin light still on. I scanned the codes and I guess I bought a faulty tps cause that was the code coming up. I put the old one on and it started right up no light on but would smoke when I would give it gas, I shut it off just to look around and went to start it again and it shorted out I think from the wires of the mlps cause once I turned the key it shorted out. I hope I didn't fry anything. I was reading the paper with my mlps and one of the wires is the power to the starter. I think I have them in the wrong places.

So I replace the wires in the original position that I had written down, still no start. I got my hands on a volt meter and checked the power out of the battery with and with out try to start it seems good. Checked the power to the starter solenoid with and without starting, seems good. Checked the power to the starter with and without starting and nothing. So whatever happened is cutting the power to the starter, could I have fried the mlps?? Or could it be the PCM, everything else is working fine as far as the dash and lights not sure if it matters. And all of my fuses under the dash are in good condition. Does anybody know if there might be another relay or in-line fuse to check. Or any other ideas of what to check.

Fellro

Staff member
There is a switch at the transmission that detects if you are in park/neutral. Try seeing if you can get it to turn if you put the shifter in neutral. Also, if the engine runs by manually cranking at the solenoid, then the ECM is fine. The neutral safety switch will definitely cause a no crank condition.

So I've gotten the truck running to find out no of these parts fixed the problem. I've even done both the speed sensors. I recorded a short video of my trans acting up at highway speeds but it won't upload to the site. I'm wondering if it could be the valve bodies, I've came across a ton of TSB bulletins about the seperator plate between the valve bodies and the valve bodies themselves. Anybody k ow anything about all these bulletins.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I have a 95 e40d truck thats had everything check replaced multiple times and new valve body.
was Ford rebuilt that acted up 1 yr old after install and never was fixed completely . Will go for months a them act up again with no codes . After way to much $ Been driving it for 3 yrs now . I gave up.

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
What ya find OUT ?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Tried another tps number 4 . No change

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I hate it when the sensors don't fix it. At that point you're stuck with a deteriorated wire harness or mystery short. Then you junk the truck out of frustration.

Ryan

Given up on hopes of a cheap fix. Nobody has been able to point me in any direction other than shoulder shrugs. Best advice I've gotten is drive it til it brakes, anything internal will be expensive anyways so just rebuild it. This is my plan, I've been waiting for tax season to get it done since its the only time of the year I could afford a couple thousand. Still running fine around the city, until I go over 50 then it acts up. If anybody has any advice on parts to put in a new tranny I would appreciate this.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts