Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E Fan suggestions

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Not a "fan" of electric fans, but I think one would be perfect for my situation.

Working on my '87 GMC Subby. It cools the engine great, it has the 4 tube core radiator, basically GMs equivalent of the old "desert cooler" rad that was in the old dentsides.

But the ac needs all the help it can get to cool off the old beasts interior. I'm wanting to add a pusher fan behind the grille that comes on with the ac...

Don't exactly know what to do... I have friends at the junkyard so I have access to various oem fans from junk cars... Just don't know what the best way to wire it is. Or what fan would be the best to use... Wouldn't hurt to have it come on just for engine cooling too in the summer, but I'd like to have it all automatic, with no switches cluttering the dash...

Tell me how bad of an idea it is :rofl2: then give me your suggestions.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I hear Taurus fans are good.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My 97 Town Car has an electric fan in front of the clutch fan. Works great, A/c is cool in the hottest weather sitting in traffic

The highest cfm fan Ford made came in the Contour. Really hard to remove one tho, better have a saw zaw with you when you go to get it

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
From what I've been reading the Ford fans are pretty much all better than anything GM used. Big surprise :rofl2:

Where's Duncan? Need him to tell me the best way to wire it :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Actually, Chris (Skandoucious) had a schematic here if I recall correctly...I recall looking at it and he had all the bases covered.
I've never wired one, if it's just a case of having it turn on and off at a certain setpoint then it's easy...but I thought when I read his that it was more complex due to the A/C system.

It would be easy to tie a relay into the clutch of the A/C to turn a fan on if that is your goal.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Summit sells an adjustable set up. Uses a probe into the radiator core.

You need a hot wire, a fused hot wire from Key, and your good.
I have a similar set up on 2 of my pick ups, used a twin fan set up. But no belt driven fan. So far they both cool well enough at idle, that the a/c stays cold. One is 134, the other 12.
Control box

fans

Mine is set up so the fans come on as soon as the A/c comes on, and stays on.
If the Ac is not on, I have it set to come on at 210*, off at 190*

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Does it not also require a higher rated alternator? I don't know what size the alternator is in your suburban.

105 amp, so I should be alright I think.

What size alts are you guys with e fans running?

I upgraded to a 130 amp Taurus alternator when I upgraded to the two speed electric cooling fan. The 3.8L two speed Taurus fan draws somewhere between 30-40 Amps continuous, and somewhere between 60-80 amps at start up. You would not believe how much air that fan moves on high!

I run my fan off of the DCC controller made specifically for these Taurus two speed fans. Much nicer and cleaner than anything Summit sells, is adjustable, and the probe is a much nicer wire instead of that stupid ugly metal coil with the Summit stuff.

http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm

Derek.

null_zps9a8822e7.jpg

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Thing to keep in mind when using a junkyard fan is to be sure they actually push the air, not pull. You have to use one that is factory mounted in front of the rad. Anything factory mounted in the engine compartment area is a puller. Put a puller in front of your clutch fan, and they will fight for the same air.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts