Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dumb question

Hey ive never gotten it over id say 2500 rpm and was curious how high of an rpm can I get my stock 460 with out blowing it up or doing anything else thatd make me mad.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Floor it................... and let it wind out full throttle... redline is typically when it gets scary. but if you have an auto you dont really have a worry. unless your shifting it manually on the column.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Remember the 460 is a big 'ole tractor motor. Lotta low-end torque, but not built for a lotta revs.

it has no redline and is a manual so its been a mystery to me. im asuming that 4000 is when it gets scary. just couldnt find any info on google

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'd keep it under 4,000.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ive slammed a 460 off the rev limiter....................................................................spinning roadys in the snow once

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ok so there is a limit so i wont kill it. thatll make towing and showing off to my buddies a lil less nerve racking

you can kill it at any rpms

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It really depends on how you're running it. If it's a quick burst to 6k, no problem, but if it's prolonged exposure to 6k...problem. For street/cruising style of driving, keep it under 3k. For reference, the 460 in my 96 would tow 10-20k at 3500rpm (with OD off) and that engine lasted 220k.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'd agree with Ben. I don't go above 2500 rpms much driving on the highway. I don't have a working speedometer so I'm just assuming this is somewhere around 65mph in 3rd gear. If you are doing high rpms for a short time it is probably ok. But if you are showing off for your friends and you blow your engine they will get the last laugh LOL. I used to think showing off was fun, but now I think it's best to just make sure my engine lasts a long time.

yeah if im cuisin down the highway i try to keep it at or below 2200 rpms in Over drive so i can get a few more mpgs. i just didnt have the slightest clue on how high i could go without worrying bout throwin a rod through the block.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts