Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

dual tank ?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
searched and found a few threads on this but really didn't get the answer. My brother has a 92 F-150 with dual tanks on it. The front tank doesn't work so he only uses the rear. When he got home today there was fuel coming out of from fuel cap/fill area. He said it was the first time it has done it. What's going on here and how do you fix it?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Did he fill it up recently?

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
he filled the rear a couple days ago.

I should have mentioned that it was the front tank that was leaking. Somehow fuel has got from the rear tank into the front and came out the fill spot.

Fellro

Staff member
The return line is going to the front tank rather than to the rear as it should. The check valve in the hose or pump went bad allowing that. Not terribly uncommon unfortunately. Happened a lot with the mechanical switches as well. They did away with the mechanical switching device in 91.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
What he said ^^^^^. That was even an issue with the electric switchable fuel tanks selector valves. I know this from experience lol. if it were me, I'd yank the bed and troubleshoot the front tank issue...that's basically a free tank of fuel just sitting there.

Yes, that particular body style of trucks were terribly bad about doing this.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts