Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dual straits on a diesel?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Delay Exhaust valve closing and extend Intake valve opening...
Why would increase the durations to the point of overlap enough to push fuel/air out the exhaust valve? :confused:

Now with all that air rushing in start the compression stroke w/ the intake valve still open......

Do you really think all that air is going to turn around and rush back out the intake valve?????
I'm really confused about your logic here.

The point I was making is that 4-stroke engines are design to follow the scheme demonstrated in the animated gif that I posted. Intake and exhaust valves are supposed to open separately-- so scavenging is not a problem and there is no need to for exhaust tricks that create sonic booms.

Ill get more into this next time I wake up...

Why would increase the durations to the point of overlap enough to push fuel/air out the exhaust valve? :confused:

I'm really confused about your logic here.

The point I was making is that 4-stroke engines are design to follow the scheme demonstrated in the animated gif that I posted. Intake and exhaust valves are supposed to open separately-- so scavenging is not a problem and there is no need to for exhaust tricks that create sonic booms.

Ill get more into this next time I wake up...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Honestly I'm not even sure what you're point is... This whole discussion started with your notion that non-true duals (a single that splits in two) would flow more air than a single pipe.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So you would claim that a garden hose which can flow NO MORE than 10 gallons per minute would suddenly be able to flow more water if you were to put a Y-adapter at the end and attached 2 more hoses?

I'm wondering if puttin a "Y" on it and runnin "duals" (yea i know that aint true duals but i'm goin the cheap route) would it make any considerable difference in the sound ?

It'll be a little quieter, but not much.

Just don't use a garden hose for your exhaust pipe. :D

Last edited:
So you would claim that a garden hose which can flow NO MORE than 10 gallons per minute would suddenly be able to flow more water if you were to put a Y-adapter at the end and attached 2 more hoses?

Um yup, the flow out both hoses will exceed what the one by its self will do....

Just don't use a garden hose for your exhaust pipe. :D

Truff.. :D

minimum 3" and prefer 4....

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Um yup, the flow out both hoses will exceed what the one by its self will do....
I think you and Chris are arguing different points here OR I am WAY confused.

One hose going out and splitting into two CAN NOT flow anymore than the one hose.

Two hoses going out, one from each bank, CAN flow more than the one original.

The OP is talking about ONE pipe, splitting into TWO pipes. THAT can not flow anymore that the original ONE pipe. This is what Chris is saying and I agree.

How can ONE pipe split into TWO flow more?? :suspicious:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

One hose going out and splitting into two CAN NOT flow anymore than the one hose.

Two hoses going out, one from each bank, CAN flow more than the one original.

The OP is talking about ONE pipe, splitting into TWO pipes. THAT can not flow anymore that the original ONE pipe. This is what Chris is saying and I agree.

THANK YOU!!! I'm glad someone finally spoke up.

One hose going out and splitting into two CAN NOT flow anymore than the one hose. why not it has less restrictions..

Two hoses going out, one from each bank, CAN flow more than the one original. No arguments from me

By giving it another way out, creates less of a restriction giving the engine the ability to take more air in..

6L PWR said:

Certainly different points than what the OP was asking.

I have a 89' diesel (7.3L international) and i have a 5'' straight run out on the passenger side and it will rattle winders and just sounds D@m good. I'm wondering if puttin a "Y" on it and runnin "duals" (yea i know that aint true duals but i'm goin the cheap route) would it make any considerable difference in the sound ?

The poor guy just wants to know if it's gonna sound different. He didn't say word one about exhaust flow.

Hope you got your answer, Possum.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
By giving it another way out, creates less of a restriction giving the engine the ability to take more air in..

Not with ONE pipe the SAME size going out! Read it again. It's ONE pipe going out THEN splitting into two!! There is NO more flow going out through the one pipe section.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Post #26:

Post #33:
The poor guy just wants to know if it's gonna sound different. He didn't say word one about exhaust flow.

Hope you got your answer, Possum.
He did, just took 25 posts of arguing first. :)

Possum, You gonna split to duals straight out the back or swept off each side out the back?

Splitting it is gonna quiet it down a bit, but your neighbors would probably like that. :) It's not going to be too noticable to you though.

Not with ONE pipe the SAME size going out! Read it again. It's ONE pipe going out THEN splitting into two!! There is NO more flow going out through the one pipe section.

The TWO pipes will create more flow through the Single...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The faster you "clear" it out the faster you can Refill it..
But how does splitting it make it move air faster in the one section that's still one pipe?

I'm not trying to get argumentative here, I'm trying to understand more about engines. I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong, I really want to learn more, especially if I'm wrong. So, please don't get upset or anything, I'm just trying to uinderstand. The common sense part in my head says it's not possible.

Thanks. :)

How about this:

If the single pipe is already flowing the maximum air it can flow, there will be no increase. If it's not there will be an increase, providing the overall length of pipe is the same.

Does that work? [confused]

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts