Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Drag racing my 76!!!!!!!

Well obviously its no drag racer but I have been talked into doing it just for fun. The local track has open track night for $20 and i am going tomorrow. I have seen 4 door sedans and generally very slow cars run there before so hopefully I wont get laughed at too bad. The truck is a 76 F150 stock 390 4v except: edel 1406 650cfm carb, flowtech long tube headers, dual flowmaster 40 series. Overall it runs very well and is tuned up etc. Does anyone care to guess how bad my et will be? 19.76??? 17.33??? 15.12????????? I will post results up here tomorrow night and i will scan and post my time slip if yall want to see it.

OH YEA ITS A STOCK C6 AND 9" 3.50 OPEN DIFF

ps.. i was thinking about maybe advancing my timing a tad anyone have any ideas on that????

Heres a pic

001-3.jpg

also if someone wants to try to talk me out of it nows the time, it runs good i dont think it will blow up.

i have romped all over it getting on the interstate it gets up to 90++mph ok i doubt i will get it going any faster than that in a 1/4 mile.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I ran my 65 f100 before. It had a rebuilt 390 with just a mild cam, 4 bl and headers. It had a 4 speed though. Do it. You'll have a blast.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I can't rightfully remember. I have a video clip though.

This particular night, we used it to pull my mustang out to the track, and the trailer ended up getting unhooked so the truck could run. My brother is driving here.

Last edited:

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Go for it!! It would be great to see a video too! I have played with the idea to drag burt, just once.... but I'm just to chicken.....smiliepeelout I have had the speedo buried though.....Talk about your led sled rocket!!! What a blast!

Good luck!
Dak

Go have some fun!!! smiliepeelout smiliepeelout smiliepeelout Nobody is going to be laughing.
My guess is going to be 17.?? . But I had rather see an old truck run than watch 20 Mustangs and Camaros in the 13,s...........And I own a Mustang.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Do it. Have fun and get a video of it.

My best time was 16.9 i made 5 passes they were all real close i think the slowest one was 17.1 and all were at 79 or 80mph. Drove about 40 miles one way made 5 passes and drove 40 miles home not bad for a $1300 30+ yr old truck. I think I might be able to bump the timing a bit and i got a 1" carb spacer i was thinking about trying. Any other ideas???

I am still jealous at how cheap you got that truck. Around here you would see double that easy.

Not bad for a 30+ year old stock truck that is for darn sure.

I wouldn't put my money on advancing the timing and adding a carb spacer if your looking for more performance. You might gain a slight amount of top end, but it won't be anything amazing. Look around for a used 4BBL carb and intake... I often find good deals on used headers for these motors too!

I am still jealous at how cheap you got that truck. Around here you would see double that easy.

Not bad for a 30+ year old stock truck that is for darn sure.

I wouldn't put my money on advancing the timing and adding a carb spacer if your looking for more performance. You might gain a slight amount of top end, but it won't be anything amazing. Look around for a used 4BBL carb and intake... I often find good deals on used headers for these motors too!

Its a factory 4v truck, still got the cast iron 4v intake with an edelbrock 650 and its got headers on it already.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts