Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dome light install

The removable top is fiberglass, everything else is metal.

Yours is the same way, I'm 90% sure of it.

and also... subscribed to this thread, not exactly the same issues (I don't think) but I don't have any lights in my Bronco, and it's annoying when it's dark. I usually just leave a flashlight in the console, so I can just use it to find things at night. :headbang:

That's how mine is.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
HAHA...I do the same thing Tyler. I'm not thinking this should be too difficult to figure out once I get all the right pieces, because everything plugs in behind the dash to the left of the gauge panel.

yep, I need to look at mine, but just ain't got around to it... need to fix my backup lights to. I'v been staying to busy here lately to look at minor stuff like that though.

That's how mine is.

I think all fullsize Bronco's are that way, to be honest. smilietease

Older Full-sized Broncos had a full-removable top, mostly used in CALIFORNICATE.

1967_Ford_Bronco_302_V8_4x4_Hardtop_Front.jpg

Last edited:

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Didn't know the Bronco's came like that. I'v never seen one. I knew Blazers did though. smiliehijacked

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
Ben...I put a dome light with map lights out of a Lincoln in my 79 Bronc when I had it...Can't remember anything about it now excet it was a really easy install...So have to go with it has something to do with the door switches...Can't remember any trick wiring...LOL

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Chuck...now that I know the door switch is involved so it will work properly, I don't foresee any problems.

Thanks for all the help and info fellas.

The green and yellow wire is for the spot lights

The other one is for the center light and cargo light

You will need the original connectors due to them being very slim

You ground the light via a mounting screw to the body

80sdomelight.jpg

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks for the info Dennis. A couple questions though, are you saying the door jamb switch is or is not necessary for the lights to light up?

Second, I was planning on soldering the wires directly to the contacts. Will that not be good enough? If not, where can I pick up those connectors?

Lastly, I'm still a tad shady on what exact contacts the wires are supposed to go to.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
This might sound dumb, but the bulb isn't blown, is it? You said you have power to the socket, but the bulb won't light up..so just had to ask.

The green yellow wire is for constant power to those 2 spot lights (Switch located on part)

The the other wire is for headlight switch/door jamb switch actuation or center bulb and cargo area.

The OEM connectors have holes in them for attaching to the circuitry.

I'll post another illustration. Hang on

You know these were only installed in E-series and Bronco's right ?

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
alright...got it dennis. Thanks.

Steve...the dome bulb is blown, but the map bulbs are good.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts