Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Does octane booster work?

Andy, the 85 you came across was actually E-85.
E-85 is an alcohol fuel mixture that typically contains a mixture of up to 85% denatured fuel ethanol and gasoline or other hydrocarbon by volume. On an undenatured basis, the ethanol component ranges from 70% to 83%. E85 as a fuel is becoming increasingly common in the States, mainly here in the Midwest, since corn and soybeans are a major crop and is the primary source materials for ethanol fuel production; currently there are about 1500+ filling stations selling E85 to the public in the US.
I have run it in my 02 (since CASEYS sells it) and have not seen any adverse effects.
Chris, if you want that super-high octane, go to the regional airport.

andym

Real men are fanatics
No, it said "85 octane" right on the sticker. This was back in 2003 or so, long before E-85 was widely available. There wasn't anything that indicated it was anything other than gas.

It was in a very rural area. They had two grades, 85 and 87.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Not so fast, Tom...

Plenty of stations at higher altitudes sell 85 octane gasoline as "regular" with the 87 being mid-grade.

I know I've bought it in CO, and I believe I have in UT, too.

*In MN and SD this May, they were selling 87 octane gas $.10 more than 89 octane...because the 89 had more ethanol.

The requirement to post the ethanol content has been rescinded. Most ethanol fuel does not SAY ethanol.

On edit, I re-read where you said it was 03, It has been sold out here since then, at least, but was marked clearly back then.

I'm not saying 85 is impossible; I do know it works well in higher and extremely cold environments because it has such a low flashpoint.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts