Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

does it ever end??

as all of you know by now ive been doing alotta work to my truck recently. well i continued my project today. just simple and basic tasks today with the threat of rain i didnt wanna get too involved so i kept it simple. oil change,new positive battery cable,checked and topped all fluids etc. but one elusive mystery is now solved but yet has revealed another and more difficult mystery. ever since i purchased the truck the speedometer hasnt worked. (commonly a cable issue) so i purchased a new cable(18 bucks at the local parts store) so i installed the new cable. road tested the truck to check my installation, and still no speedo function. so i removed the cable from the back of the speedo and found a "gear" that can be spun easily by hand. supn it and the speedo worked. so i figured i got the wrong cable. disconnected the cable from the trans, and reconnected it to the speedo. spun the "gear" that goes into the trans and again the speedo moved when spun. so i put my finger inside where the gear on the trans end of the cable goes and i mean i put my whole finger in there. i didnt feel any gear teeth what so ever on the inside of the trans. so does anyone know where i can find the gear the goes into the trans to make my speedo work?? the milage reads 176k but ik its over 180k im guesstimating roughly 182k or so. id like to keep trake of my milage and spped should my tach fail but have no clue where to find the lil tiny gear. thanks once again every1. as always its appreciated. btw i have a werner 4spd manual if that helps at all

as all of you know by now ive been doing alotta work to my truck recently. well i continued my project today. just simple and basic tasks today with the threat of rain i didnt wanna get too involved so i kept it simple. oil change,new positive battery cable,checked and topped all fluids etc. but one elusive mystery is now solved but yet has revealed another and more difficult mystery. ever since i purchased the truck the speedometer hasnt worked. (commonly a cable issue) so i purchased a new cable(18 bucks at the local parts store) so i installed the new cable. road tested the truck to check my installation, and still no speedo function. so i removed the cable from the back of the speedo and found a "gear" that can be spun easily by hand. supn it and the speedo worked. so i figured i got the wrong cable. disconnected the cable from the trans, and reconnected it to the speedo. spun the "gear" that goes into the trans and again the speedo moved when spun. so i put my finger inside where the gear on the trans end of the cable goes and i mean i put my whole finger in there. i didnt feel any gear teeth what so ever on the inside of the trans. so does anyone know where i can find the gear the goes into the trans to make my speedo work?? the milage reads 176k but ik its over 180k im guesstimating roughly 182k or so. id like to keep trake of my milage and spped should my tach fail but have no clue where to find the lil tiny gear. thanks once again every1. as always its appreciated. btw i have a werner 4spd manual if that helps at all
Wow, what a mess that is. :/

Get out there at night with a flashlight and use a mirror if you have to and
look in the speedometer hole. Be sure there ain't a gear first.

But if there is a gear, and it's chewed to hell, at least remember its color. ;)

I did a search and there's three different -drive- gears 6, 7 and 8 tooth.
With shipping could be $20 each.

6=green
7=yellow <- my '75 F150's is yellow
8=brown

Alvin in AZ
ps- old Newsgroup rule:
Don't put more effort in the answer than the OP put in the question.

i checked the speedometer cable hole on the transmission and there is no gear present at all. im guessing that any remains of the speedo drive gear are just tiny little pieces of plastic in the bottom of my tranny so how can i tell which gear is the proper gear for my truck? i know that the wrong gear will make my speedo inaccurate on either side of the speed limit so how should i go about locating the proper gear for my truck?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I was just reading your posts in another thread and if you go with those 31x10.50x16.5 tires, than based on your gear ratio and a speedo gear calculator than you can figure what gears you need.

Lets say you get a 7 tooth gear for the transmission, than the calculator says you need a 16 tooth speedo cable gear. If you get an 8 tooth gear, than you would need an 18 tooth speedo gear. I think there is only a 7 or 8 tooth drive gear and they are only like 10 bucks.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts