Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Does anyone know if fuel cells are street legal

my friend had one in his 355 v8 s10... custom paint, air bagged...show truck was in minitruckin mag a few times.
We put a aluminum fuel cell in his truck... sat right in the bed, clearly visible .... cops looked at it numerious times. Looked the one posted above.
2 years of driving(he sold it). took it down to oregon for a truck show. No problems at all with it... Its funny oregon has a law that you cant pump your own fuel... How ever if its a fuel cell its legal.

They may not be approved for road use, but there sure alot more safer then a flimsy 18guage stamped and glued together steel gas tank. Even plastic gas tanks are legal and used on production cars.
I would not see any problem why a 3/16" thick aluminum fuel cell wouldnt be safe enough for road use.NHRA requires you to run one once you pass a certian ET. If its rated to hold nitro going 200mph in a crash then i think a crash at 35 would be no sweat.
And even if the fuel cell did get punchered in a crash, that plastic or thin steel tank would of deffently been punchered. Just keep a level head on where your putting it.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
The argument has never been that a fuel cell is not "safe," or will be dangerous in a crash. The reason they are not legal for on road use is that they have not been tested by the DOT. Now, its a completely different story if the cops know that or not, but as I have said since the beginning of this thread: NO, they are not "legal" and it has nothing to do with them not being safe.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts