Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Does anyone know if fuel cells are street legal

I dnt see why not? I mean who's really gonna look at your gas tank. I know our 65 pickup has a sprint car fuel cell in the bed, its got a wood bed and the tank is underneath, we just have a rond piece of the wood that comes out and the fuel cell cap is underneath that, hidden.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
typically, no. But it will only become an issue if say, you get in a wreck and everything burns down cause of your illegal fuel cell....

That said, they dont often hold much fuel.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know NC is a stickler for exposure or protection of tanks...ie lift a truck and now the fuel tank is the first thing hit if you're rearended. Flip side of that, I see rat rods with fully exposed kegs that are used as a fuel tank. So, I'm with Don, as long as you're not in a fiery car crash caused by your cell, I doubt you'll get hasseled. Best way to find the rules and regs is call up the Nebraska DMV.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Well ben the rat rods are actually upgrading with those bling tastic kegs.

Kegs take ALOT of abuse, ask me how i know.

Anyway. Im curious why you would want to run a fuel cell though?
Talk about never passing a gas station ever again. Haha

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
who says they have to be small? i have a twenty gallon fuel cell.

they are generally not legal since they are not DOT approved.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yea i guess im just used to working around the small 5 to 7 gallon cells...

But not being dot approved they are not street legal.

As for the gas tank whats wrong with it?

you can with the right safety measures weld a gas tank up if its got a hole or slice...
But i wouldnt suggest it if you have no idea what your doin....

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
well its up to you really.

Just remember if you get in a wreck and your cell ruptures you are 100% liable for all damage that ensues.

Be it damage to state property (roads) loss of life, other vehicles.

Insurance wont do jack to help you either... So law suits and possibly jail time depending on what happens...

Yes this is an extreme scenario, but...
300 bucks for a gas tank vs having to pay who know how many 100's of thousands if not millions of dollars. ( people are sue happy remember.... )

Or do some research and fix your tank your self...

A few basics. drain the tank, let it air out for several days, completely fill it with water, let several gallons flow out the top, empty repeat several times. start from the hole and cut out with shears until you get good metal, then cut your patch and weld on.

Make sure you get a completely water tight bead.
repeat for all the rust holes. Probably a good idea to line your tank at the time too.

As for the dent, use something to pop it out with one of the holes you cut.
Get creative.

Think out side the box.
save your self a lotta money.

Saying all that.
Im pretty sure modifing a gas tank at all completely nulls the dot things, so...
Best of luck to ya.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
you can with the right safety measures weld a gas tank up if its got a hole or slice...
But i wouldnt suggest it if you have no idea what your doin....

I witnessed a pretty serious encounter with the old 73 Wagoneer I had. Unbeknownst to me, the gas tank already had some work done to it, and basically had a subfloor welded in (I never saw it, but that's what was explained to me). Well I brought the tank in to have it cleaned out and fix any holes. Well, the guys were doing their thing and 'fixing' what needed to be fixed, they applied something with spark and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. Under that subfloor was a partially solidified mass of fuel that exploded. Luckily, there were no major injuries.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
If you dont know, i suggest something like shears to get the party started....

Unless you are willing to bet your life on it. Dont use anything with heat, or sparks...

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Forgive my ignorance on the issue but when "fuel cell" is used is it meant to mean one of the tanks like they use on race cars (nascar, indy etc...), or is there also another type?

Because those tanks seem pretty tough and I would think their standards are pretty stringent.

Just trying to broaden my knowledge base.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I believe the issue lies within potential static electricity build up as well as emissions routing/venting/

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
A fuel cell is typically an aluminum tank (possibly with a bladder) that is used in racing conditions. It does not matter if they are "safer" which they very well could be. Unless they are submitted to the DOT for testing and registering, they will never be "street legal." That being said, I know of no street legal fuel cell.

My fuel cell, has a layer of foam in the bottom, that keeps the fuel from sloshing around as much. I think I have a picture, let me go find it.

EDIT:
S1052102.jpg

Ford Truck Articles