Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dodge No Start Condition

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Hey all, 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6. used to run great then one day just shut off and coasted to a stop and would not start back up again. Found the POS battery terminal clamp was loose so tightened it. Still Wouldn't start. Will sit there and wing over as long as you want but no start. If you push the gas pedal it will start and run like crap but not stay running. Disconnect the PIOS cable for around 20 seconds with foot pressing brake pedal, put cable back on and fires right up. I don't think it's a fuel condition as it smells flooded when you wing it over, don't know if it's a spark condition as it will start with gas pedal down. Something is making me lean toward the ECM. The CEL doesn't turn on and have not troubleshot anything as of yet. The OL had to take my trusty Ford to work today so Gotta figure this one out. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts about this thanks...It's gonna run me ragged thinking about this. Going to check for spark and power to the coil today as well as (hopefully) fuel pressure.(Not sure how to go about FP as it's TBI)

blacksnapon

Staff member
One of the small wires coming off the battery (if I remember right) has an inline fuse/connector in it. That wire powers the pcm. Bad connections are known to be in there.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Thanks...didn't get to mess with it at all today but did get a tiny bit of research in.....looks like crank/cam sensors go bad in these things...any possibility resetting the ECM could enable it to drive a bit and then have this issue?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Tried to pull codes and got a P done...which of course means no codes...still won't start though...this thing is drivin me nuts. Picked up a crank position sensor earlier tonight.....I hate to throw parts at something but this thing has me confangled......If the sensor doesn't fix it...that was a wasted 67 bucks...

Ford Truck Articles