Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Distributor wiring

I bought a new Accel Dist and coil for my 1978 429. The plugs do not match so I need to know what the three wires from the truck go to. The distributor has a red/black/brown. The truck has three and my Hayes book tells me they go to the dist, but don't tell which is which. I also put a test light on my coil after I hooked it up and both side were hot, so I unhooked the neg side and both sides are still hot with just the positive side hooked up. Is this right?

DSIIandDSIIIIgnitionModulatorTestcl.jpg

Last edited:
I also put a test light on my coil after I hooked it up and both side were hot, so I unhooked the neg side and both sides are still hot with just the positive side hooked up. Is this right?

Yes. The light tests for a potential so you don't technically need a completed circuit. Test a open ckt for V and a closed ckt for I. Fluke the same points to ground. If they are > 6V the coil is close to death. Just get a new coil they are cheap and it's a good idea anyway if you are putting in a new distributor. Do you have the part number for the distributor? I can tell you with more confidence then where those wires should hook up to your ign mod. I just put a D.U.I. distributor in my 75. Different wiring but I understand the starting system pretty well now.

Meatwad.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts