Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

difference in engine timing

what is the engine going to act like with the timing advanced versus the timing to low? is there a noticeable difference?

i got the timing in enough that the engine will fire, but... the starter keeps locking up then i shut the key off and the truck will fire up and shut off it will also sputter really bad and shut off.. is that more likely to be advanced timing or does the timing need turned up?
any help would be awesome

Fellro

Staff member
Sounds over advanced.

i couldn't get to the light today i will use it tomorrow. i would like to set it in enough to have the truck idle before i use the light. it won't run for more than 3 to 5 seconds. it was getting better as i turned the timing down.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
turn crank by socket and ratchet to 10° btdc on compression stroke.

pull distributor.

put distributor in so that the rotor will point direct at #1 post on cap.

tighten down.

bam. base timing is set at 10°

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
DO NOT PULL THE DISTRIBUTOR!!!
Just loosen the hold down so you can rotate it but not so much that it can rotate freely with out you turning it.
Turn it til it will run then either put a timing light on it or time it by ear.
Turn the distributor clockwise to advance and counter clockwise to retard the timing. Sounds like you need to turn it counter clockwise a little bit.
Chris is giving good advice for a disassembled engine or putting in a new distributor.

Last edited:

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I'd start by retarding it till it almost dies and go from there. Take for a test drive. Keep advancing till the engine starts to knock and ping when taking for the test drive. Then retard a degree or 2 till knocking goes away. Takes a few times driving down the block, but works great when you don't have a timing light. Also the engine rpm's will change when advances or retarding.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
DO NOT PULL THE DISTRIBUTOR!!!
Just loosen the hold down so you can rotate it but not so much that it can rotate freely with out you turning it.
Turn it til it will run then either put a timing light on it or time it by ear.
Turn the distributor clockwise to advance and counter clockwise to retard the timing. Sounds like you need to turn it counter clockwise a little bit.
Chris is giving good advice for a disassembled engine or putting in a new distributor.

same applies for an assembled engine.. just harder to see everything..

and yeah you don't have to pull the distributor do what I'm saying.. I do just so I can start at base.

I just got the timing set on with timing light was running smooth as ever and idling good then all of a sudden it just shuts off. It will crank but won't start..
What could it be???

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Check for spark and fuel the two basics you have to have for a engine to run.
Your coil may be giving out and not producing well enough to fire the plugs.
If you are getting a spark what color is it white/blue or orange. It should be a white/blue spark.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts