Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Diesel Bronco For Sale

For a little more weight inspection perspective...my dad had his air ride unplugged in his caddy and got pulled over and weighed this weekend. The rear end was sagging...to give off the look of being overloaded, and he got pulled by a trooper.

Must of been an inexperienced PO . The look of a non working air ride doesn't look like an over loaded ride. Or he might have been looking for moonshine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
a diesel bronco would be kinda cool though. did ford ever offer it? i know g.m. had diesel full-size blazers back in the day. couldnt see the ad in the o.p., been removed by author (so it says when i clicked.)

No they did not...but a compliant and factory re-enforced rig would be cool. That's strictly speaking within the US borders.

Fellro

Staff member
I would love to chat with that fellow a while, as I hear conflicting things on the 4BT's. That would be a swap I feel more effective for a Bronco or my 78 shortbed. A 6.9 is heavy enough that it does bring some questions. The 6.2/6.5 was considerably lighter than the 6.9/7.3, and used common parts in the driveline. You could swap gas and diesel on the same bell housing. I have a few IDI motors and transmissions, but knowing how nose heavy it would be, not sure I would want it in the 78. A 4BT would certainly get mileage, and I would think decent power.

Ben, can't say the why, but I do know my 86 with the 6.9 will plow though snow better than the 88 with the 351. I have been stuck numerous times with the 88, but the 86 and my dad's 84 6.9 will push through snow drifts nearly hood high.

Here is a good forum for the 4bt swap + they have a good discussion on other engines too.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

I have recently seen an 82 F100 out here with a TD42 six cylinder Nissan and 5 speed in it - the owner was impressed with it and being a pushrod six it was pretty quiet too.

Fellro

Staff member
Here stateside it can be tricky finding an automotive style diesel engine that can be effectively transplanted into a light duty truck. Some of it is emissions rules, some of it is just market. That is why the Cummins is so popular, they are available in configurations that are readily adapted to light duty applications. I can find Isuzu and Nissan diesels, but are typically in medium duty trucks that use transmissions that don't swap out to light duty applications so nicely. Otherwise they are used in non-road applications that are even harder to adapt to light duty applications.

ArizonaPrepper

Lincoln and Ford Fanatic
While searching online for info about Diesel Broncos I came across this particular thread and did some reading and figured I would post. I have an 83 Bronco, 4" lift, 6.9L Diesel with a Banks Turbo, Custom cut Moog load distribution springs and quad Rancho 9000 shocks. 4 KC Daylighter spot lights, 1 HID Spot light, 4 Halogen Side eluminators, 2 halogen cow catcher floods, Sylvania Brightstar headlights, rear reverse halogen floods. Engine from an 85 F350, suspension from the same. Interior flooring, ceiling and dash bed lined with Line X as well as door kicker panels. Upgraded over sized radiator. I take her off roading pretty regularly, She goes any and everywhere without issue and I have used her to pull a 24Ft dual axle enclosed car hauler with My 2008 Lincoln MKZ inside at 70 MPH with ease. I think one of Fords biggest mistakes was never offering a Bronco factory diesel. It may have extended the life and profitability of the brand in my opinion. But regardless, I love mine. I apologize, I tried to make the pictures smaller but photo bucket is not responding to my edits.
DSCN1806.jpg
426322_309762215754958_100001635450949_861754_1946171335_n.jpg

430609_309762739088239_100001635450949_861761_619732793_n.jpg

425229_309009309163582_100001635450949_860090_677990162_n.jpg

bronco.jpg
DSCN1798-1.jpg

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
While searching online for info about Diesel Broncos I came across this particular thread and did some reading and figured I would post. I have an 83 Bronco, 4" lift, 6.9L Diesel with a Banks Turbo, Custom cut Moog load distribution springs and quad Rancho 9000 shocks. 4 KC Daylighter spot lights, 1 HID Spot light, 4 Halogen Side eluminators, 2 halogen cow catcher floods, Sylvania Brightstar headlights, rear reverse halogen floods. Engine from an 85 F350, suspension from the same. Interior flooring, ceiling and dash bed lined with Line X as well as door kicker panels. Upgraded over sized radiator. I take her off roading pretty regularly, She goes any and everywhere without issue and I have used her to pull a 24Ft dual axle enclosed car hauler with My 2008 Lincoln MKZ inside at 70 MPH with ease. I think one of Fords biggest mistakes was never offering a Bronco factory diesel. It may have extended the life and profitability of the brand in my opinion. But regardless, I love mine. I apologize, I tried to make the pictures smaller but photo bucket is not responding to my edits.
DSCN1806.jpg

426322_309762215754958_100001635450949_861754_1946171335_n.jpg

430609_309762739088239_100001635450949_861761_619732793_n.jpg

425229_309009309163582_100001635450949_860090_677990162_n.jpg

418157_305405716190735_1799590903_n.jpg

DSCN1798.jpg

Don't apollogize! WE LOVE PICTURES!!!

Nice bronco!

ArizonaPrepper

Lincoln and Ford Fanatic
Thanks Tax, She was a fun project. On the fence thinking of selling her to fund an M35A3 Deuce and a Half purchase but If I do keep her Im going to get her repainted, new interior and windows tinted. She is my "Bug out vehicle" If you will. But if I grab the M35A3 with the rear communications shelter Im going to strip the inside and build in bunk beds, an onan generator, pot belly stove, air conditioning, fridge and such and roof mounted solar panels with a battery bank under the bunks. Here is the M35A2 I sold in Maryland prior to being stationed at Ft huachuca.

NitroCar006.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Thanks Tax, She was a fun project. On the fence thinking of selling her to fund an M35A3 Deuce and a Half purchase but If I do keep her Im going to get her repainted, new interior and windows tinted. She is my "Bug out vehicle" If you will. But if I grab the M35A3 with the rear communications shelter Im going to strip the inside and build in bunk beds, an onan generator, pot belly stove, air conditioning, fridge and such and roof mounted solar panels with a battery bank under the bunks. Here is the M35A2 I sold in Maryland prior to being stationed at Ft huachuca.

NitroCar006.jpg

I've had "bug out" vehicles in the past so I know what you're talking about it! Very cool on what your plans are for it if you end up selling the bronc and buying one.

Sounds like you'd be able to "comfortably" live in that thing!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Have you see Big Rob's bronco on here....pretty awesome, reminded me of his when I saw yours:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30682&highlight=bigrob

Last edited:

ArizonaPrepper

Lincoln and Ford Fanatic
I hadn't seen that one as of yet. Still exploring the site. I wish my interior was that clean. I thought about looking for an EB edition in a local junkyard to pull the seats front and rear to swap out but wasnt sure about fit and couldnt find that answer anywhere. My current seats were custom, but the drivers seat is worn to all hell. Very plush and comfortable, but dont look very nice. Would love to upgrade the interior and make it a bit more modern. Not to mention get a non retro 80s paint job done, Probably a Line-X or Rhino line job on the undercarriage as well as body.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Unless Im missing something and my Google Fu is lacking this morning, Ford never used Isuzu motors in their trucks let alone diesels. Anyone else notice that?

Alot of dealer add ons could be had. So he's wrong in saying it was 'factory'...but it very well could have come off the lot that way, given the age of the diesel is correct. For instance, my dad had a zero mile 79 Bronco come off the lot with a 460 in it. He als had a 3/4 ton 78 (and 80) Bronco done...with a 250 rear swapped in. It was more or less who you knew at the dealership to my understanding.

Last edited:

ArizonaPrepper

Lincoln and Ford Fanatic
I checked Wikipedia as well as searched for production archives data in my ford catalog and there was no Isuzu motor ever offered dealer, factory or otherwise. There was a kit sold though to do an Isuzu swap that was a tad popular. He is definitely knowingly or by accident misrepresenting what he has. And it seems like the adapter plate for the motor to transmission seems to have issues with wear and failure. Someone might get a raw deal if they fail to research what they are bidding on. Gotta be careful what believe on line these days, They say if you read it online it HAS to be true lol.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^There's a good chance, there is no record at all for what each individual dealership would do. Sure there are dealer options...but some did paint schemes, badges, drivetrain swaps, etc. etc. that would never be any Ford literature.

ArizonaPrepper

Lincoln and Ford Fanatic

Moving on to an M35A3, Here is a video of her that I took for my for sale ad. Really on the fence about the sale, but I really want another M35 and the wife says one of the toys must go first and it wont be the Navigator or MKZ for sure. Sigh:hammer:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts