Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dennis Carpenter??

Fordedselfanatic

'77 F250 SC 390 T18
I restored my truck (77 F250) using mostly LMC parts. Last week I decided to replace the weather strip on both doors. Dennis Carpenter had the best price, so I ordered from them. I got the package today.

I have to say, I'm disappointed. I expected molded, factory replica parts. What I got was generic weather strip pieces that I could have bought WAY cheaper at my local parts house. This stuff looks nothing like the original factory weather strip on my doors.

Looking at the Dennis Carpenter catalog, there were two additional pieces of weather strip that glue to the top of the doors. My truck didn't have those, so I bought them too. Since I didn't have those pieces from the factory, I can't compare them to the stuff I got from Carpenter. I can tell you that like the door frame strips, these door pieces have no bends molded in. They wont lay flat around the bends.

Anyway, this order was kind of a letdown for me. I won’t be ordering anything else from Carpenter.

Just wanted to share my experience, and maybe save someone else from making the same mistake. (And save you $100.00)

YMMV…

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That is disturbing to hear, all reading and research has DC products as being top shelf.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Do they at least stick on well? I've heard a few accounts about how you have to use super glue to hold LMC weatherstripping onto the cab. I'd be okay with non exact fit weatherstripping, as long as it kept the water out and didn't keep falling down.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Another odd thing is that Green Sales sometimes has NOS weatherstrip and it is the same Ford part number as the DC catalogue.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I ordered both the frame seal and the upper door seal about three years ago from Dennis Carpenter and was very happy with them. They weren't premolded, but using 3M sealer(yellow), they have not moved at all. The seal took about a month to get to where I didn't have to slam the door, but the door shuts normally now and the seal is watertight. But, that was three years ago.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I didn't order the weatherstrip from them, but I ordered it from autokrafters and had to glue it on. I'm sure it was the same as what DC sells. I guess I can't complain, it held on very well and seems to work well.

Don't get too discouraged by DC for one thing. LMC gets much of what they have from DC anyway. Also, beware of NOS rubber parts. If they have been around for awhile, the rubber won't be that good.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I didn't order the weatherstrip from them, but I ordered it from autokrafters and had to glue it on. I'm sure it was the same as what DC sells. I guess I can't complain, it held on very well and seems to work well.

Don't get too discouraged by DC for one thing. LMC gets much of what they have from DC anyway. Also, beware of NOS rubber parts. If they have been around for awhile, the rubber won't be that good.

I've wondered that about the rubber...when I talked to a guy at Green Sales he told me they haven't got any complaints about it...but it still makes me think twice about it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My understanding is that DC has their own extrusion machine and is made in the USA...where would BOTP get it from?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I've wondered that about the rubber...when I talked to a guy at Green Sales he told me they haven't got any complaints about it...but it still makes me think twice about it.

I suppose it all depends on how it's stored. I've seen brand new NOS weatherstripping that was fairly hard compared to new stuff so I hesitated using it. The rubber was stored in a box in a body shop that was never used. Maybe I could have used something on the rubber to soften it up a bit, I don't know.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dennis Carpenter had the best price, so I ordered from them. I got the package today.

that I could have bought WAY cheaper at my local parts house.…

^^^The statements in bold are a complete contradiction...which is it?

I have to say, I'm disappointed. I expected molded, factory replica parts. What I got was generic weather strip pieces This stuff looks nothing like the original factory weather strip on my doors.…

Keep in mind, not all of DC's stuff is Ford approved or Ford licensed. Some of their stuff is simply to fill a need, and they try to get it as close as possible.

Anyway, this order was kind of a letdown for me. I won’t be ordering anything else from Carpenter.

Just wanted to share my experience, and maybe save someone else from making the same mistake. (And save you $100.00)

YMMV.…

While that's your prerogative...DC is hands down the best reproduction parts source out there. Hell, they used to supply JBG with their products and they used to (still might) send their reject stuff to LMC, which LMC would sell for full retail. So...while the WS may not have been what you expected, you're not going to find a better parts source outside of finding NOS/OEM stuff or going to Green Sales.

You may not be happy with their door seals but DC stuff is miles ahead of LMC mostly.

Agreed 100%

Another odd thing is that Green Sales sometimes has NOS weatherstrip and it is the same Ford part number as the DC catalogue.

DC is all willy nilly with their part numbers...or maybe DC is supplying Green and they're pawning it off as NOS??????????

My understanding is that DC has their own extrusion machine and is made in the USA...where would BOTP get it from?

That's correct.

On another forum I read a post about a guy using the seal from a newer model truck and it working much better. It goes on without any glue. I asked the question about what year models would work but got no response. Anybody know anything about this?

On another forum I read a post about a guy using the seal from a newer model truck and it working much better. It goes on without any glue. I asked the question about what year models would work but got no response. Anybody know anything about this?

This would be good to know

I bought the clutch rod boot from DC and it didnt fit worth a ****.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Pretty sure I've heard about this too, but don't have many details either.

I think BOTP gets theirs from this manufacturer

http://www.metrommp.com/

Model number: LM 110-A

Price (US funds): $23.60

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
UTfball68;392950 DC is all willy nilly with their part numbers...or maybe DC is supplying Green and they're pawning it off as NOS?????????? [/QUOTE said:
From what I've seen DC is pretty much right on with their part numbers.

I think BOTP gets theirs from this manufacturer

http://www.metrommp.com/

Model number: LM 110-A

Price (US funds): $23.60

Intersesting, thanks for posting that.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
From what I've seen DC is pretty much right on with their part numbers.

I thought so too...but then got talking with Bill, some line up, some don't...and some of the stuff is fabricated to sound good.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts