Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dennis Carpenter Updates

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just got off the phone with Jerry at DC. He says they're slowly coming out of their aluminum crisis for grilles. He says he currently has 16 73-77 grille shells and for $550 one can be yours.

He also says their still a couple months out from being ready to release the lower race track trim with provisions for the tool box.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Anything mentioned on the 78-79's ?

I bit the bullet and ordered one of LMC's new steel chrome shells. Im not sure if its going to be worth a crap but I will find out next week.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Thanks for the update Ben. If I didn't have to get new chrome trim for mine, I'd order another grill shell and put it into storage just in case this ever happens again and I get into a fender bender.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Pretty tough to do as the aluminum is anodized. You can remove the anodizing and then polish it, but you will have to keep doing that to prevent oxidation.
Some places will re-anodize but they are few and far between, I have heard of people spraying the bare aluminum with a clear coat but I don't know how well that will hold up.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I tried that on a small piece of trim and it actually turned out really nice. I didn't do any kind of sanding on it to remove small scratches, but just polishing it up after removing the anodized coating worked well.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Wow $550! And to think I got a grille in great shape for $26. Unfortunately it is in storage 1500 miles away. One day I'll ship it here and put it on my truck.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Wow $550! And to think I got a grille in great shape for $26. Unfortunately it is in storage 1500 miles away. One day I'll ship it here and put it on my truck.

Damn, nice find on your grill shell. I couldn't find one worth a damn for my truck so I bit the bullet and bought one of those DC shells. Looks great and fit well so I'm happy, but that much cash for just a shell hits hard. I could have used some of that cash to save up for an OD unit.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It was just luck that I found it. I just can't see spending that much on a grille for a daily driver. Different if it is a show truck or restoration. For $550 I'd die if it got scratched lol

i have heard that same bs for 4 years now on the 78/9 grills from them now i will probebly grow old and die befor they finaly get those out for sale! lol and i have bought repo wheel arch and tailight mouldings for both my trucks from them and i hope their anodizing is a little thicker on the grills as its pretty thin on the parts i have and seems to scratch easy but the fit is very good

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anything mentioned on the 78-79's ?

Didn't think to ask. But I'll give them a call if you want me to.

Thanks for the update Ben. If I didn't have to get new chrome trim for mine, I'd order another grill shell and put it into storage just in case this ever happens again and I get into a fender bender.

Not a problem. With how tough it is to find quality grilles for these things, I think I need to put my next couple pay checks into these things. Peace of mind for myself in case anything ever happens to mine and they seem to hold their value well.

This is kind of on topic. How can I polish the aluminum trim and grill?

You can chemically remove it. Weak end of the spectrum is oven cleaner on up to lye. You can also grind down on it too. Either way, once the anodizing is removed you need to buff and polish and either re-coat it or polish once a month or so.

I have heard of people spraying the bare aluminum with a clear coat but I don't know how well that will hold up.

I've got a set I did that I cleared and it's help up well in storage for the last 6-7 years. It's probably the worst of the 3 sets I have, but definitely driver quality.

BTW Dman...found a place here in Winston-Salem that can and does handle vehicle trim and will do whatever you want them to do. I have a link in the NC chapter.

but that much cash for just a shell hits hard.

No kidding, I really dunno how they justify that price.

i have heard that same bs for 4 years now on the 78/9 grills from them now i will probebly grow old and die befor they finaly get those out for sale! lol and i have bought repo wheel arch and tailight mouldings for both my trucks from them and i hope their anodizing is a little thicker on the grills as its pretty thin on the parts i have and seems to scratch easy but the fit is very good

I figure if they had the 73-77 shells they probably have some 78/9's...same aluminum...different die.

I was talking to DC just this week, and they told me mid July. That they are starting to make them now. So we'll see.

That's the 78-79 grilles

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts