Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Death woble i thinks called

Well my truck just started doing what is often called the death woble, some times when i am driving down the road the steering wheel will start to move back and forth and the front end will start to woble or move i am not sure how to fix it but its pretty bad, it happens mostly when i brake not to a stop but slow down and then start to speed again, i dont know what the problem is but i would realy appriciate some advice on what is the quickest easy-est fix, i hope it is just like some tie rods or something but i dont know have not really taken a look yet, thankssmilieFordlogo

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would start by checking the frontend and see if there is play anywhere

I would start by checking the frontend and see if there is play anywhere

ya i just looked up some stuf and i will definently do that first but on the sites i did the research some said to instal steering dampers, some said steering stablizers and others said to shim it so what is the right but easy inexpencev fix????

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
the sites i did the research some said to instal steering dampers, some said steering stablizers and others said to shim it so what is the right but easy inexpencev fix????
Those are bandaid fixes that try and mask a serious issue.
Some thing is wrong in the suspension.
Check all parts for play and replace. Check your tires, tie rod,ball joints, radius arms, all bolts,steering box, draglinks.etc.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
To be quite honest, this isn't an 'easiest fix' kinda thing. It takes time to track this kind of issue down without just throwing a whole bunch of money out there. First and foremost, a steering stabilizer/dampner will do nothing to fix the problem, but it may mask it...until the problem gets so bad the stabilizer is useless.

Now on to finding the problem, jack the front end up, have some turn the steering wheel slowly back and forth to see if you can find any play in any of the steering components. You'll have to do this several times. Then have them do the same thing but in a quick/jerky fashion. Be sure to note any and all movement.

Then check any and all bushings (track bar, sway bar, radius arms, etc.) on the front end, it's not uncommon for a wallowed out $10 bushing to to cause the binding that is the death wobble. You should also check your shock and shock tower to make sure bushings are good and the tower is firm.

Next step is checking the ball joints (unless you have KP's) and tie rods. See if either of your front tires have top to bottom movement, if so ball joints are bad. If you have any front to back movement time to replace the TRE's.

Beyond that, if you've recently put a lift or running bigger tires, you may just need an alignment.

That being said, I don't hear of too many actual cases where the DW takes affect upon breaking, usually it's upon acceleration. So is there any potential you have a warper rotor?

well no it does do it when i acelerate, it just does it when i acelerate after i had brake, i just got back from about a 1200 mile trip in it and before i left i felt it do it a little bit but after or now it is prety bad so i am just going to check all things out. I just blew a tire too they are the big o xt , 208 a tire so i have to buy a couple of those before i try to get it alligned.l

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well if you blew a tire, what are the chances the wobble came from a busted belt?

HerbinTexas

Texas Chapter member
Im gonna bet tire also. Had a similar thing happen on my used to be my 93 4x4 shake like hell when you brake but be pretty much normal ever else. I could not find a problem in the front end so I took it to the Ford house in Odessa. They drove it and came back with warped rotors. I swapped em out same s***. Talkin to the old man next door he said put you front tires on the back and see if that helps. It did had a busted beltin the what used to be the right front. bought two new tires and had a new drivin truck again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts