Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

dead cylinder??

sorry i havent been on here lately been busy working and in the process of moving but i havent forgotten about everyone on here. unfortunately i was tracking down one problem and discovered another bigger problem. my truck has a habit of fouling out the spark plug on the #1 cylinder. that said i was driving home last week and noticed my truck started missing and carrying on and losing power especially when going uphill. i figured no problem ill jus pull and clean the #1 plug and all will be well. however, when i pulled the plug i noticed it wasnt fouled out. carbon buildup is a problem on this cylinder. as i was re-installing the plug i noticed that that the exhaust was old and grey looking all except the #1 cylinder which has some oil on it and so i decided ok i will just simply let the truck run for a bit and it will burn off but when i got home i looked to see if the oil burned off and it didnt. so i pulled the plug and checked it for spark. has spark so plug and wire and dist connection are all good. then pulled the valve cover off and chedcked the rockers and studs to make sure they were in tact. they were. so i then cranked the engine to check to make sure the valves were opening and closing which again they were. so i pulled the plug again to see if i could see into the cylinder bore to see how everything looked there but i couldnt see anything so i put everything back together and decided to start the truck and let it run for about 10 mins to do my own "test" just to confirm my suspicions and grabbed a bottle of power steering fluid and dipped my finger into the bottle and dropped a few drops onto the 2nd exhaust port and as suspected instant smoke for about 10 seconds until all of the fluid burned off. then repeated this with the 1st cylinder exhaust port and the power steering fluid simply heated up enough to run down the exhaust manifold at a nice speed and then start to smoke once it hit the "hot" part of the manifold. so i kno i have air,fuel,spark,and atleast some kind of compression but nothing on the exhaust side. can carbon build up "clog" the exhaust port and cause a dead cylinder or should i look into something else?? i dont want to pull the head unless i absolutely have to because of my finantial situation i cant afford to replace all the gaskets required to remove the head. also i notice a spitting sound(i thought it was a valve tapping but the more i actually listened to it the more i realised that its a compression leak im assuming on the intake side so that the gases can escape. like i said to pull the head to look at the valves i will because im pretty the main causes for a dead cylinder would be a cracked piston,cracked,chipped,bent,or broken valve. this can be checked with a compression test but i cant do that until next week. so i bring up my main question of can carbon build up cause this condition?? if not what should i look into next. thaks guys and sorry this is so long ive been running myself into the ground lately and am very tired(laughing) but any and all thoughts,pointers,opinions,or anything else is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance,bill

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
An old trick to see if you have a valve problem, was to get the snap on type compression gauge. They have an air fitting where they plug to the gauge.
Put the cylinder to be tested on TDC

Then you screw the spark plug end into the hole

Put 40 lbs of air to the adapter

If you have a bad intake valve, air will come out the carb

If you have a bad exhaust valve, you will hear the air coming out the exhaust

I can't imagine the carbon being that bad in just one cylinder

the carbon buildup in the #1 cylinder is actually a bad problem its so bad that if i dont "clean" the plug once every week or 10 days it fouls out and makes the truck run like crap but i pulled and checked the rest of the plugs and the other 5 were in what appeared to be in good and normal condition

as you can see here in the pic the #1 exhaust port on the manifold is nice and oily and grease coverd but the exhaust port for cyl#2 looks "normal" the metal tube is the fuel line which also is hiding the intake port for the #1 cyl this was my 1st clue that my #1 cyl wasnt functioning properly

Last edited:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Its Rebuild time...valves or worn/broken piston rings...could be both....Carbon wont clog the valve port itself...ive experienced carbon clogging EGR Ports in the intake manifold on customers vehicles...

Last edited:
ugh thats what i was afraid of :(. im going to perform a compression test and a leak down test on the engine hopefully next week. if its just a busted valve im going to go to the junk yard and just buy another head and swap them out. i know it wont completely fix my problem but if it helps then ill consider myself lucky. unfortunately i dont have the experience,time,or money to rebuild/buy another motor for the truck. i just need it to run until i get my old b2 drivable again. once i get that taken care of then i will focus on rebuilding/buying a new engine for the truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts