Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dead 6.0

Fl.
Thats right, the company truck is dead. It's a 2005 6.0 crew cab 4x4. Engine has less than 70K on it. It's blown up. Something to do with the EGR system leaking coolant into the engine. So I need to know where is a good place to get a replacement engine? And do I have to put the 6.0 back into it. I hate this engine. it had been in the shop for the same coolant related problems 3 times and now it is broke for good. Any suggestions? The truck is in great shape it's just the engine that sucks.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
have to put a 6.0 back in if im not mistaken..... you should be able to get a re-maned one from ford.. or Jasper i believe may also have them...

and 6.0's are not bad if you do routine maintenance and preventive maintenance like coolant filter add-on, and give it good fuel and quality oil and filters....

Fl.
This 6.0 has been a piece of crap from brand new. it has been in the shop more than 4 times for the same EGR problems. Ford kept it running until it was out of warranty. Now they say it needs a new engine, I do not want another 6.0 but the truck is in great shape. I just hate the idea of spending money on another 6.0 Looking for any options.

blacksnapon

Staff member
EGR cooler failure due to oil cooler plugging up. EGR cooler fails, hydrolocks engine. Latest flash sets a dtc when oil cooler temps get 15* higher than engine coolant temps. The engine damage was preventable, you just needed to have it at a qualified garage. The problem isn't the 6.0, its the people you had working on it.

Fl.
Yeah Kelly ford in melbourne did all the work on this truck. So I guess I still need qualified people to tell me my options now. First off am I stuck with a 6.0? if not what options for an engine. If so where do I go get a 6.0

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah Kelly ford in melbourne did all the work on this truck. So I guess I still need qualified people to tell me my options now. First off am I stuck with a 6.0? if not what options for an engine. If so where do I go get a 6.0
Just because it was a Ford garage doesn't necessarily say qualified. Many dealerships are infested with techs that are sour on the 6.0, and they wont offer to go that "extra mile" to guarantee customer satisfaction. Establishing a relationship with your tech is more important than ever. The resources to assure long lived 6.0s are at every dealership, they just have to be willing to use them. We're getting more and more young guys entering this profession that just want a job, and are not wanting to have a career.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The 6.0 is a good engine. Just a few precations can assure a long life. Make preparations to purchase a new engine (or repair that one). The get back with us, and we'll steer you in the right direction.

Fl.
OK I am ready for some proper help. I can assume both my local ford dealers ( Owned by the same people) are not where I should go to get this work done. I am ready to purchase an engine and get this truck fixed. What do I do now?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I'd fly Vince down to fix it...or have it shipped to him and tell him to have the precautions put in place.....If not...Mullinax Ford up in Apopka has an excellent maintenance reputation. Thanks, I'll stay away from Kelly Ford.

Fl.
kelly ford and palm bay ford same owner. i am getting the vin # Going to do a search and find out the dates and service work done to the truck. not that it's going to help anything. I priced a drop in engine and it was 14K I have another option that is $ 10,500.00 then the jasper rebuild. I just don't like any of the options. Truck is 7 years old, so I think I will put a 460 in it and use it as a work truck.

kelly ford and palm bay ford same owner. i am getting the vin # Going to do a search and find out the dates and service work done to the truck. not that it's going to help anything. I priced a drop in engine and it was 14K I have another option that is $ 10,500.00 then the jasper rebuild. I just don't like any of the options. Truck is 7 years old, so I think I will put a 460 in it and use it as a work truck.

WTH does a 14k engine include?

Fl.
These are the # I got from a friend of mine at ford. and his opinion on the breakdown problem. The expensive engine is a "drop in" it has everything. I guess the core charge comes off but still lots of money.

"it's probably due to a couple of concerns, most likely a crappy aftermarket oil filter. They don't fit the same as the Motorcraft ones allowing debris to clog the oil cooler which in turn compromises the egr cooler as well....For an auto the part number is 5C3Z.6006.BARM Long block reman at 10,600 list with 3,000 core. drop in with everything is 5C3Z.6007.DARM lists at 14,000 with a core of 3,200. I'd have him check the in service date....i know they go 100k but i think it's 5 years of in service date. Get me the VIN i can tell you more."

blacksnapon

Staff member
These are the # I got from a friend of mine at ford. and his opinion on the breakdown problem. The expensive engine is a "drop in" it has everything. I guess the core charge comes off but still lots of money.

"it's probably due to a couple of concerns, most likely a crappy aftermarket oil filter. They don't fit the same as the Motorcraft ones allowing debris to clog the oil cooler which in turn compromises the egr cooler as well....For an auto the part number is 5C3Z.6006.BARM Long block reman at 10,600 list with 3,000 core. drop in with everything is 5C3Z.6007.DARM lists at 14,000 with a core of 3,200. I'd have him check the in service date....i know they go 100k but i think it's 5 years of in service date. Get me the VIN i can tell you more."
The aftermarket oil filters dont fully compress the valve at the bottom of the filter housing. This allows oil to bypass the filter and return to the pan. The high pressure oil pump can actually be starved for oil because of it. The oil cooler passages that plug up are from sand and silicates in the coolant passages. An aftermarket coolant filter will stop this.

Fl.
You know all this service information on what should of been done just pisses me off. keep in mind this truck was serviced at a ford dealer. Why Is it now that I am informed I should of had an AFTERMARKET coolant filter? Why did FORD "SERVICE" not tell me these things or even better if it needed it why did they not do it. bad filter bad cooler must be my fault when ford did all the work. talk about passing the blame on to the owner.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You know all this service information on what should of been done just pisses me off. keep in mind this truck was serviced at a ford dealer. Why Is it now that I am informed I should of had an AFTERMARKET coolant filter? Why did FORD "SERVICE" not tell me these things or even better if it needed it why did they not do it. bad filter bad cooler must be my fault when ford did all the work. talk about passing the blame on to the owner.
You'll not get a dealer to recommend aftermarket accessories. The navistar equivalent of the 6.0 (vt365) has a coolant filter as stock equipment. They dont have egr cooler issues.The ford fix is to flush the coolant using an iron cleaner as well.

Fl.
Have you previously had an EGR cooler failure?

It was in the ford shop 3 times for EGR related problems. Once it was going down the road and started to smoke white smoke / steam. This was the first time coolant was dumped into the engine. This last failure was similar but the engine locked up before it could be pulled over. Again coolant in the engine.

129_1009_08_o+ford_power_stroke_bulletproofing_tactics+failed_egr_cooler_with_cracked_passageway.jpg

This is an example of a failed EGR cooler that caused a catastrophic engine failure. Notice the cracked coolant passageway (arrow). This unit failed because of a clogged oil cooler and excessive exhaust gas temperatures.

The 6.0L Power Stroke engine has a unique oil temperature regulation system that relies on engine coolant to raise or lower oil temperature within a given operational range. The system utilizes a compact aluminum heat exchanger that is located in the front of the engine, just under the oil filter assembly. The 6.0L engine block features a void that allows the cooler to mount inside the "V" of the engine. The self-contained stacked-plate heat exchanger is highly effective when the engine is new. However, over time the narrow interior passageways can become restricted by corrosion, debris in the coolant, and casting sand left over from the manufacturing process.

Odds are your dealership was replacing egr coolers and never checked or replaced the oil cooler.......treating the symptom but not fixing the problem. The coolant filter helps prevent the oil cooler from stopping up.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts