Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dana 60 regear?

I did some searching and never found the answer I was looking for. I have a dana 60 rear in my 77 f-250. I think it has 4.10's in it and I'm wanting to run 3.55's. Can I just get a new ring and pinion for it or is the carrier different?

Thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dana 60 carrier is 4.10 down and 4.10 up. So yes you'd need a new carrier. There may potentially be a thick cut gear set out there which to my understanding prevents a carrier change.

I stumbled upon the wikipedia page for the dana 60 (credible source I know). But it shows the carrier break as: 3.31:1 - 4.10:1 and 4.56:1 - 7.17:1.

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

If I have to change the carrier I think it might be easier and cheaper to setup my dana 80 to fit in the truck

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I BELIEVE you can get a 3.55, i think the 4.10 is the cut off point. You should be able to go to a 3.55 with out issue, i dont see ford having to different carrier's for different gear sizes, especially common ones like the 4.10 3.55.
If you go to a lower gear (numericaly higher) then Ben is correct.

I thought your truck is a four wheeler- so unless you NEVER use it on the road in 4wd, you'd have to change the front, as well.
Maybe a Gearvendors OD, instead?

Maybe, I should fill out my signature. I have a 77 F-250 and I've put a 5.9L Cummins with an Nv4500 in it. I was going to run a divorced transfer case but ran into too many issues. So for this summer I'm going to run it as a 2wd. Then over the winter I will swap out the 2wd Nv4500 for a 4wd and use a married transfer case.

The truck currently has 4.10 which don't go so well with the slow turning cummins. I was looking for an easy way to finish this truck and was going to just swap to 3.55s in the d60. But the more I think about it I'm just going to use the dana 80 with 3.54s that came with the dodge donor, plus I know it will handle the power.

As far as the front end I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a D60 to swap in later.

I was starting to cut too many corners and would have had to do way more work in the end.

Thanks for the input I really do appreciate even though I'm going a different route.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I'd go 80 as well. Figure the 60 is just a 9.75" ring gear, not much of an improvement of a 9". I figure a Dana 70 and up or Sterling would make you much happier.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was told that you can fit the 3.55's in the 4.10 carrier

If there was a thick cut gear you could. But the cut off for D60's are 4.10 and down and 4.10 and up.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben as i understand the gears go up to 4.10 on one size carrier, then 4.56+ is another size carrier?

Yes?

The 4.10 and down carrier will fit any gear numerically lower than 4.10. The 4.10 and up carrier (like I have in Red) will fit any gear numerically higher and including 4.10.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I do believe you are incorrect, but i am going to double check my sources.

I dont see ford using a different carrier for only one gear set....
But i will have to double check.
I think the 3.55-4.10 carrier is the same.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
What are you talking about Don? If there are 2.75 gears out there for a D60, you could fit 2.75's on up to 4.10's in the 4.10 and down carrier. Then once you get to 4.10's, you use another carrier up until the gears physically won't fit anymore. Any axle I've ever dealt with has a carrier break. The 4.10 is just the carrier break, not saying that 4.10's have their own carrier.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im saying, 2.73 up to a 4.10 use the same carrier, then 4.56-7.12? use a different carrier.

The break is at 4.10 yes, but 4.10 and numerically lower gears work on the same carrier.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Im saying, 2.73 up to a 4.10 use the same carrier, then 4.56-7.12? use a different carrier.

The break is at 4.10 yes, but 4.10 and numerically lower gears work on the same carrier.

Isn't that the exact same thing I said? Where is this getting lost in translation?

Oh...I think I know. So you're saying you thought I was saying that you could fit 4.10's in either the lower or the higher carrier? Which no I wasn't, the 4.10 and numerically higher fits 4.10's and up. Or is that where you're saying I'm making a mistake and 4.10's are included in the lower carrier and not the higher? IIRC, when I had 4.88's swapped into Red, I had the proper carrier and I had stock 4.10's...and I didn't have to go buy a 4.56 and up carrier. Not to mention, what would you do with the gears between 4.10's and 4.56's? Get another carrier yet, I don't think so.

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
The 4.10's fall in the same class as 2.73's. How you got 4.88's and a 4.10 carrier to work im not sure.

More research is in due order.
I believe you were on the right track with thick cut gears though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Eff off Don...you're right:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bible/index.html#CB

I'll chalk this up to not knowing what the hell was going on when I was younger and perpetuating bad info. Or maybe thick cuts were used, so I assumed. I dunno, at the time I was better at pulling out my wallet than knowing what was going on.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts