Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dana 24 transfer case

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Hey guys, I bought a couple Dana 24 Ford transfer cases figuring if I ever needed a spare I could use one in my 77 F250 Highboy. I did some reading about them, but just wondering if they are any good. I gave $200 for both of them and now a back ache from lifting them.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
depending on your market that's not too bad a price.

They're as strong as the NP205 just lack the aftermarket backing.

I like them because they're cheap and strong, folks around here just ditch them for a 205...

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The 24 has a 1.86:1 ratio whereas the NP 205 has a lower ratio of 2.?:1.

If I remember right the 24 does not have 4Lo?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
You're thinking of the Dana 21 Doug. That was the high only t-case found in the half ton trucks.

The D24 is the divorced case used prior to the NP205, and you may be correct on the gear ratioo difference but it did have low range, and IMO when coupled with the NP435 had plenty of low range gearing.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks for the clarification, Eric. I also discovered that the NP 205 has a gear ratio of 1.96:1. Not much difference.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I did read that the Dana 24 can lack a Lo range compared to the NP205, but for me, that probably wouldn't be a problem since I'd most likely never need a low range. Someone else might if I'd sell one, but that wouldn't be my issue. Divorced T-cases are becoming a little hard to find around my area. Mud Racers and off roaders have snatched up the NP205s and if I did find one, people want quite a bit for them and shipping would be very high and then you don't know what you get. I don't know, I think 2 Dana 24's for $200 isn't a bad deal.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Nah, its a great deal. I've been on the hunt for one so I can use my 2wd AOD in my '70 when I get the time to convert it to 4wd. You'll be hard pressed to break one unless you're putting gobs of torque into one.

Ford Truck Articles