Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cylinder head bolts

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Put your purse down then try, they will come out they're just in there good I ended up just using my impact on em

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
That should help some, if anything have someone hold the motor from tippin and use a piece of pipe on a breaker bar that should do it or an impact

You're not using something wimpy like a 3/8 ratchet are you..?

I always use my 1/2" drive breaker bar for cylinder head bolts, broken a couple 1/2" drive ratchets.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Soak em, heat around 'em, bang em with a dead blow, then get on em.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Impact is the way to go. Good excuse to get an air compressor in your kitchen.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
how should i heat them up?

use the oven??? ahaha. JK guys.... just a funny kitchen joke...

I was thinking the the toaster or maybe even the microwave...but leave it to you to think big. Or you could get one of those handheld torches you can get at Ace or Lowe's for $7.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
you can always get a compressor in the kitchen , just don't ask permission to do it. Hide under the sink outo sight outa mind

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Just torque on them they will break loose. The worries of tipping the stand is good possiblity with those small stands.
I will have to get a pic of the one I made.
I break them loose witha 3/4" drive if I use a 1/2"I whack the bar with a hammer to break them loose.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
you can always get a compressor in the kitchen , just don't ask permission to do it. Hide under the sink outo sight outa mind

Yup put some lace around it and Ann will never notice.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
+1 for what Randy said. An 8'' ratchet ain't gonna budge those bolts. I used an 18'' 3/4 breaker bar on my 351M and 2 or 3 of those bolts needed both hands on the breaker bar.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Heat will not work to loosen them you can not get the heat to the threaded parts. Make sure to use a good quality 6 point socket so not to round them off. If they round you have a whole new learnng experiance ahead.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts