Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Custom Exhaust Time! Need some help

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
The tailpipe test is the only thing I can find. Is there anyway you would have a resource that would give the testing information for Massachusetts?

Upon some research, it looks like as long as your truck doesn't smoke you'll be good to go.

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
Upon some research, it looks like as long as your truck doesn't smoke you'll be good to go.

Sounds good. Thank you for checking on it! YelloThumbUp

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Hi Mike :wavey: (I was away on vacation)

I was able to do the header swap myself on the old truck but found it was a big pain to do the rest, so I took it in to a muffler shop, and I was very happy I did. Spending the money to upgrade (especially on such a nice truck as yours!) really pays off both for getting a proper sealing system and one that looks good. Seen a lot of exhaust systems done in the driveway, but unless you are a good fabricator, they don't look good (being polite :) )

The header gaskets I used are the Remflex which (were mentioned) and they are awesome. They compress when you torque down the header bolts and stay under compression so there is no need to worry about the bolts coming loose and causing a blown gasket. Grade 5 bolts work but in your case upgrade to Grade 8 header bolts. As for the headers themselves, the better quality ones will cost but again be the better choice. Mine were the BBK brand and stainless steel (which will dis colour with the heat but still look
good) The best are the ceramic coating ones. I was happy with the Flowmaster series 40, good price, good sound, well made.

An exhaust upgrade is one of those that is very personal, right up there with rims and tires/ suspension. Pay the extra and you'll be very happy!

Can't wait to see the pic's :)

460Trucker

Hi Mike :wavey: (I was away on vacation)

I was able to do the header swap myself on the old truck but found it was a big pain to do the rest, so I took it in to a muffler shop, and I was very happy I did. Spending the money to upgrade (especially on such a nice truck as yours!) really pays off both for getting a proper sealing system and one that looks good. Seen a lot of exhaust systems done in the driveway, but unless you are a good fabricator, they don't look good (being polite :) )

The header gaskets I used are the Remflex which (were mentioned) and they are awesome. They compress when you torque down the header bolts and stay under compression so there is no need to worry about the bolts coming loose and causing a blown gasket. Grade 5 bolts work but in your case upgrade to Grade 8 header bolts. As for the headers themselves, the better quality ones will cost but again be the better choice. Mine were the BBK brand and stainless steel (which will dis colour with the heat but still look
good) The best are the ceramic coating ones. I was happy with the Flowmaster series 40, good price, good sound, well made.

An exhaust upgrade is one of those that is very personal, right up there with rims and tires/ suspension. Pay the extra and you'll be very happy!

Can't wait to see the pic's :)

Thanks for the info Roy! Hope you enjoyed your vacation! I know I said Super 40 but I think I'm going to go with the regular 40 series, which is two steps up. I thought about paying someone but I need a spring project and I have a friend who will be helping me who is very good and has built a few systems already. Definitley paying someone to do the headers though :D
Still going back and forth on the regular and ceramic headers, but hey I got all winter to decide lol

primetime

sawmill slave
Here are the pics I promised Mike. Sorry for the delay. Things have gotten bat**** crazy here since yesterday morning.

The first two pics are the Hedman y-pipe. The first is the end where they merge with the O2 sensor bung. The second is looking towards the front and the collectors.

SANY0354.JPG

SANY03551.JPG

In this pic I'm pointing at the extension that Hedman supplies which connects their y-pipe to the factory cat.

SANY03561.JPG

This pic is with the camera at trans crossmember level looking back. That is the Hedman extension you see leading into a y that I scavenged which splits back into duals with Flowmaster 10s, the same mufflers 95F350 used. What can I say, I was trying to simulate an X-pipe with stuff I had on hand.
SANY0357.JPG

Sorry for the crappy pics, we've had some bad issues come to light with our daughter and I just ran out and snapped some pics in the dark.

460Trucker

Justin thank you for taking the time to take and post the pictures. They are extremely helpful, I gotta see things visually before I understand them. That y-pipe that comes with it extends a lot closer than I thought. Hope all is well!

460Trucker

Am I going to need some gaskets or are just using wide band clamps and muffler clamps acceptable?

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Am I going to need some gaskets or are just using wide band clamps and muffler clamps acceptable?

If you're using long tubes you will need gaskets at the collectors. The exhaust piping is held by using exhaust clamps (one pipe slides into the other) although some people like to weld the whole system. I never had any issues with using just the clamps. Remflex makes collector gaskets also to go with the header gaskets. Check out my pic's Mike, I have a few of the Remflex gaskets.

460Trucker

I'm using mid lengths. The only place that the pipes will not directly fit into one another is the collector and the intermediate pipe. Going to have to use a reducer cone a a gasket. Both have been added to the parts list! So far, included with the labor on the headers, it looks like I will be coming in at just under a grand. Thank God for overtime :D

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Question.

Are you planning on revving this motor up? Do you have the heads and cams to support headers? Does your truck even need them or will it benefit at all from them?

If all you are looking for is sound and dumping the cat. Then i would recommend doing just that.

However listen to a truck with short glass packs on it before going with mufflers. Glass packs take all the high pitched noise out of the exhaust and leave you with the rumble. Mufflers just make it quiter. Depending on the muffler is to how quiet it gets.

Where you place the muffler in the pipe will affect sound output. As will removing the cats.

Cats often times act as a resonator. They deepen the tone a bit and smooth out the pulse of the cylinders.

460Trucker

I'm just looking to really open it up and get as much power out of it as possible. The stock components on the exhaust system are extremely restrictive and basically choke the engine. My truck is not just bout the looks and sound, its about getting some decent performance as well. I don't see how my cam and heads will not handle it. The cam on a 460 is designed for longevity and as far as I know, the stock heads are ported decently enough.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I wasn't trying to say they wouldn't handle it ad much as I was asking if they needed it. I wasn't sure how u drive so hats why I asked. Some people only want the sound so no need for headers. But some people want the horsepower so then u need to open her up.

I am a big proponent to exhaust in most cases. However you wouldn't put headers and open pipes on a tow truck.

Simple because that back pressure gains you torque with horsepower as the cost.

Opening it up you will notice a difference. It will probably be way more noticeable about 4000 rpms and up. Maybe less depending on what you have. And you may even lose a bit down low. But with a 460 probably doesn't matter

460Trucker

I wasn't trying to say they wouldn't handle it ad much as I was asking if they needed it. I wasn't sure how u drive so hats why I asked. Some people only want the sound so no need for headers. But some people want the horsepower so then u need to open her up.

I am a big proponent to exhaust in most cases. However you wouldn't put headers and open pipes on a tow truck.

Simple because that back pressure gains you torque with horsepower as the cost.

Opening it up you will notice a difference. It will probably be way more noticeable about 4000 rpms and up. Maybe less depending on what you have. And you may even lose a bit down low. But with a 460 probably doesn't matter

Oh ok gotcha. I use the truck as a showpiece/nice weather driver. Gets used 4-5 times per week during the late spring, summer, and early fall then gets put in storage.
The 460 has 395ft/lbs stock so thats pretty good haha. Everything is stock right now except a flowmaster cat back system and a K&N aircharger kit.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Headers have made a difference in any car/truck I have ever put them on, more air in, more air out, more power you make.

460Trucker

and they have the cool factor! :cooldude:

Winter needs to go fast so I can get started on this!!!

Prius------My Truck after this project
:flames:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What Tater said is very true...but given that you have a free flowing intake, the headers will help for sure! smilieFordlogo

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Also FYI,

F3TE Heads (im assuming you have) and stock cam dont flow as well as a fella might think.

basically, a truck head/cam

Now if you have a big $$$ nasty cam in there, you will see a HUGE difference with this exhaust over stock because your cam wont be able to breath. And of coarse this would also mean you upgraded the heads to match the cam. :D

460Trucker

Also FYI,

F3TE Heads (im assuming you have) and stock cam dont flow as well as a fella might think.

basically, a truck head/cam

Now if you have a big $$$ nasty cam in there, you will see a HUGE difference with this exhaust over stock because your cam wont be able to breath. And of coarse this would also mean you upgraded the heads to match the cam. :D

Possibly a future project, any recommendations on manufacturers of performance 460 cams/heads?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts