Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cummins pissing coolant, unknown source

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
So i have a coolant leak in the dodge. Its not hoses or t stat housing and to be honest i cant find it anywhere which makes me think a seam in the rad is leaking somewhere.

I used to be able to top off the resevoir and it would leak about 1/4 gallon a WEEK but all the sudden it wont draw from the resevoir anymore and its pissing out coolant. I topped the resvoir off and the level hasnt changed even though I have had to top the radiator off daily (about a 1/4 gallon a DAY now)

I can squeeze the tube from the rad to the resevoir and force coolant throught it so i know its not plugged...why wont it draw from there anymore?

Im guessing i have a leak in one of the rad seams but i cant find it because it wont leak when the motor isnt running and when it is the fan blows in everywhere. If i turn it off and go try to look where it is dripping from EVERYTHING is dripping because the fan just blows coolant all over.

Im really confused why it wont pull from the resevoir...
Also i cant yank the radiator because i park on the street and have no other transportation here. Im kind of at a loss for what to do...

Fellro

Staff member
Are you for sure it is getting ahead of the fan, or maybe coming from the water pump? If the front of the fan blades are wet, it pretty much has to be the radiator or a hose, if it is getting slung by the belt to the back of the fan, then it is more likely water pump. The 92 Cummins is leaking from the head gasket to the outside, the coolant stain stripes down the back of the block are telltale... Tried some of the head gasket in a bottle to buy some time... can't answer if it is working, as I haven't seen the truck for a bit...

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Okay upon closer inspection it looks like a PO used some sort of stop leak and that is now clogging the intake to the resevoir. i pulled the hose off it and tryed to blow through and couldnt. now im trying to figure out how to remove it for draining and cleaning without having to break the damn plasic clip mechanism.. grr i havnt even gotten to the main issue of the leak but now that i know some stop leak ******** has been used im guessing someone band-aided a problem and now there is a blockage downstream from the original leak that is overpressurizing the system and blowing coolant out the leak

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts