Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cummins 12v oil pressure

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
In my 12v cummins (sig truck) When i start it cold it reads slightly higher than normal oil pressure and when it comes up to temp is reads considerably lower than normal at idle (pressure returns to normal and doesnt move when motor is under load)

By "normal" I mean the spot that it had always sat at rock solid for the whole time i owned it whether under load or at idle until a few weeks ago when it started fluctuating. At its highest and lowest points it is still withing the guages "normal"/ "safe" range. Since it doesnt plummet to 0 or spring off the charts to high i am not too conserned but am curious why all the sudden it would start reading differently. Do you guys think its a guage issue or something actually pressure related?

To knock off the easy ?'s Im running the same oil as always (superlube 15w-40) and same filter. It started right before I last changed the oil and began reading low so i changed the oil thinking it was thinning out faster than usual, but symptoms have continued after the oil change.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Temperature has been up and down, and as far as i can tell not having an effect.

Definantly no hard start, it is the fastest starting diesel of many make i have ever driven, probably because of the massivly overfueled conditions upon start. Which also means that a BIG puff of black is included in every start

Fellro

Staff member
I would hook up a pressure gauge to verify. My swap pulled the same trick, the pressure readings went weird, even zero'd out at some points. Hooked up my test gauge and all was good. Changed out the sender and it is ok now.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts