Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Crankshaft bolt

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
I'm having trouble getting the cranshaft bolt loose, any tips? I'm trying to get to the timing cover so i can replace a gasket that blew out on me last night. Any tips for removal of the pulleys and balance would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You either need a kick *** impact with a ton of torque, or you can try the redneck way and have some one wedge a big ol long pry bar under that pulley and hang on it while you try to get that bolt out with a 1/2".

Note...when I did the latter, I had a 400lb guy hanging off the pry bar and there was still some slipping.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
So i got the bolt out, and the balancer off now my next problem. It seems there is another balancer that needs to come off in order to get the timing cover off. I'm not sure if I can use a gear puller for this or not.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
crank

maybe a little heat and some tiny taps with a hammer on the sides.remember a LITTLE heat and TINY taps.good luck

do not use a puller on the outer diameter, you run the risk of destroying the damper or at best damaging it
use a puller that bolts to the hub and a screw in the center against the end of the crankshaft or as was mentioned, a slide hammer, but bolted to the hub

posted too quick, pic finally opened, that balancer
agree solvent and a slide hammer
be careful of prying, the timing cover is aluminum

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts