Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Couple questions??

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"
My first question is what type of fluid do I use in my transfer case? Is it just trans fluid or gear oil? My second question is what weight lube do I use for my front axle?? My front axle has a SLIGHT leak so i just am gonna top it off. OO BTWW I put 33's on my truck Ill get pics for you all later, NO rubbing at all!!

i agree

(not that it matters, but sometimes you just want that second vote before you go do something)

F150

easy
If your just gonna top off the differential you should add what is all ready in it. There should be a "tag" on it with the proper weight. If not, then drain it and put in the 75w90.....

More than likely your t-case (BW I believe) will take Dexron III Mercron and to just top of the front axle, I'd get what ever you could find.
Doesn't pay to put synthetic since it is leaking, and it's the front axle, so the shafts shouldn't be turning while driving (in 2wd), so again, not need for synthetic.

Where is it leaking from....Differention cover gasket, pinion seal, axle seals?

Michigan
Royal Purple 75W90 here.

More than likely your t-case (BW I believe) will take Dexron III Mercron and....

just so he doesnt get too confused, you can use Mercon V which is most likely all your going to find easily anyways... same stuff as Dextron 3 Mercon...

do a tranny flush while your at it =]

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
just so he doesnt get too confused, you can use Mercon V which is most likely all your going to find easily anyways... same stuff as Dextron 3 Mercon...

do a tranny flush while your at it =]
While he's probably safe to use Mercon V in his tcase, Mercon V is NOT the same as Mercon III. Just wanted to make that clear.

Michigan
Get pics of those tires DAMMIT!

While he's probably safe to use Mercon V in his tcase, Mercon V is NOT the same as Mercon III. Just wanted to make that clear.

sorry wrong wording, not the same, but interchangeable

ha skan i remember the convo we had about it.. lol.. different Friction modifiers

Lol yeah I remember Brian. Was pretty surprised to see that you were saying they were the same :rofl2: :p

**OOPS**
the fluid in the t case can be changed? lol.. i thought it got fluid from the tranny

Michigan
I heard quickcrete and water is good "Lubrication" For a T case. Well, maby for the first minute or so.. :)

thats how u make a t-case a coffin =P

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Doesn't pay to put synthetic since it is leaking, and it's the front axle, so the shafts shouldn't be turning while driving (in 2wd), so again, not need for synthetic.

Hate to say but they do turn even with hubs out but its just friction front turning of wheel . But its not stress like being in 4x4.

But the man is right just get normal dino oil .

Hate to say but they do turn even with hubs out but its just friction front turning of wheel . But its not stress like being in 4x4.

they move maybe a quarter of a turn.. thats about it, they definetly dont turn while not engaged.. much anyways

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"

Its leaking for the axle seals i believe. But its not bad, never drips its just kinda wet up there. The fluid has only went down like a 1/4 inch sense the beginning of winter, and my hubs are always locked in. (unless i go down the highway)

fords4life91

"The best NEVER rest"

They shouldnt move at all. the hub is COMPLETLY disengauged from the axle shafts. Well at least every truck ive seen never spin, even when going down the highway..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts