Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Could use some advice?

I have a 96 f150 with a 351w and a body lift with 33" tires. I want to take this semi stock truck and make it into the ultimate off roading machine. What upgrades would you suggest I start with?

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
A large bank account!
Sky's the limit when taking on a project like this. You first need to write down all the things you want to modify, then prioritize them. But remember if you want to go hard core wheeling, strength is everything, so it's not cheap! Big suspension upgrade for larger tires is a must, I would consider this first. Then gearing keeping in mind if you are going to have a engine swap in the future. Your Transmission will have to be considered too. What type of wheeling are you thinking? Mud or rock crawling, combination, all things to factory into the build.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Do you drive this thing regularly? How much down time do you have?

Ryan

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'm with roy... as he said "the ultimate offroading machine" if there is such a thing, is going to be very expensive. Like no less than $20,000 expensive.

Minor upgrades can be free or cheap if you know where to look.

You have to start by deciding exactly what you want from this build.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The main thing is terrain...an ultimate rock crawler is miles apart from an ultimate mudder. You need to establish pupose and budget before you move ahead. Whatever you do, rims/beadlocks/tires are gonna run you at least $2500 in a 35+ inch tire combo. Axle purchases/builds are going to be another 5k easy. Building the engine/trans/t-case can be another 10k. Now suspension could be upwards of another 4-5k. Roll cages, winches, etc. are all other things to consider...so be sure to have deep pockets.

If you're in to rocks/dunes/desert style trucks, check out Broncospeed...trucks can be built for sub-25k that will spank anything but the pro built rigs. And they're still dd's.

primetime

sawmill slave
I agree with what has been said. That being said, start out with a locker for the rear axle. Then go out and play. Then get a winch. Ford trucks like yours are pretty capable with some minor upgrades and you`ll be surprised where they`ll go. Have fun!

Bigger lift for one haha, get 44's and make sure you get your gear ratios correct as well, these hot heads that want a lifted monster get BIG TIRES and nice looking vehicle and burn up the gears cause its not use to the lift, oh dont forget exhaust just for the cherry on top ;)

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Ditch the TTb front end, its will be cheaper to keep it if you stay with minimum lift and tire size. anything 6" or more will be better off to go with a solid axle swap.
Then decide the purpose and go from there...
Wasn't mentioned yet.
But if your looking for a huge show truck alot of the things mentioned still apply.

Ford Truck Articles