Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coolant reservoir?

Riotnrrd

Tennessee Chapter member
Naive question for you folks.

Did the 6th gen F150s have an overflow reservoir for coolant? I know there's an overflow hose, but in my particular truck it's cut off and dangles beside the radiator.

Is there a need for a coolant reservoir to reclaim the overflow, and if so where can I find one? If its not something to worry about, thats fine too!

I'm in Tennessee where temperatures in the summer rarely get much above 100. The truck runs about 180-200F in the spring, IIRC... though I might be wrong about the exact range!

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Nope no overflow tank till the 80s they just run onto the ground throught that hose beside the radiator. You can get an aftermarket one if ya want but I dont see the need.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dan's right...no overflow tank, just sprays it out the bottom. But I have seen some guys just zip tie a two liter bottle to the core support to catch the fluid and then pour the coolant back in the radiator later...but the bottle usually warps and gets holes in it after a few spews. Then I've also seen guys get some trick recirculating reservoirs to essentially add another gallon or so of fluid to their system...I'm pretty sure summit has some of that stuff.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
No coolant resiviors like stated. I put a universal in from Autozone. I can take a picture if you want to see how it looks.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I have an aftermarket reservoir too. Why not have it? They don't cost much and they keep some fluid off the ground.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts