Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Considering an expedition build...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
On my list of life goals is one that I believe should really be crossed off while I'm young and capable - travel the country (and possibly Canada) via my own truck. Simple gist is to have a self-contained travel unit while still being able to enjoy the occasional trail venture. I'd also bring along my detailing arsenal to have an income stream.

The short list of mods I see needing to be done to my current rig:

- Camper shell for bed
- Insulation/ water sealing
- Non-idle climate/power
- Bed for sleeping

After some quick searching, I could throw on a shell similar to this one:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/for/4371535624.html

I like the canvas top. Looks like it would be easy to insulate. Plenty of headroom. I'd obviously tint the windows. Don't care for the rear door, but it could be a nice touch for adding a canvas extension while camping.

Upgrading to a dual battery setup should be rather simple. At that point, should I look into some sort of inverter? Or perhaps a generator mounted atop the camper shell?

Framing out a bed is easy enough. Build it up to about the height of the truck bed with plenty of storage below.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If it was me, I'd buy a cab-height F/G camper shell with screened sliding windows. And a tent.

That shell you linked is pretty sweet, but not for sleeping under, IMO. Or aerodynamic enough for lots of long highway miles, for that matter.

"Non-idle climate control" is better known as "good gear". Keeps you warm or cool. Power can be had where you find showers.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I had a slide in camper with a pop top was slightly higher than cab . but extended up to stand up hieght when packed (like a pop up pull behind camper)

2005 Chinook Baja 21.5ft 4x4 Class C Motorhome

2005_Chinook_Baja_21_5ft_4x4_Class_C_Motorhome_5f54de799ee761b79408_1.jpg

2005 Chinook Baja 4X4 21.5ft Class C Motorhome. Only one in the World. A concept RV that Chinook and Winchester created together. The two corporations put in over $96,000.00 (documented) worth of upgrades, over and above the Base price of this RV. The list is extensive - here are just a few: Banks performance system, oversized front and back IWC anti-sway bars, full 4X4 conversion (under the authority of Ford - thus fully warranted by Ford), oversized all alum. wheels, and tires (still meets OEM specifications), diamond plate underbody protection, onboard air compressor, GSM house batteries (military spec), 12,000 lb. remote control Warren winch, dual heated seats, all upgraded leather interior, authentic Corian (not fake) countertops with Moen faucet, custom carbon fiber dash/front door accents, heated holding tanks, tile and carpeted floor, hidden safe, new flat screen TV with Bose surround sound, solid maple (not laminate) custom cabinets with black ebony inlay, and Winchester 30-30 brass shell casing inlays, custom solid maple back lighted gun rack, 30-30 brass shell casing inlays molded inside stool seat, granite coat shower, integrated and color matched front and rear bumpers, in dash Sirius satellite radio, 8 full size PIAA lights, custom full body paint with custom airbrushed accents with (tastefully done) airbrushed Winchester logo's - and many more items too many to list here.

maybe you could trade the mustang to Ben for his C class camper ....... wait until 3 months are up though so my vote is correct smilietease smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You'll buy the vehicle, get 100 miles, turn around, and go home. You'll have changed your mind in no time because you have commitment issues.

Ryan

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
You'll buy the vehicle, get 100 miles, turn around, and go home. You'll have changed your mind in no time because you have commitment issues.

Ryan

He might make it to Ben's.

What these guys said. You don't want to travel the county any more than anyone. You just always want to do something other than what you're doing.

2005 Chinook Baja 21.5ft 4x4 Class C Motorhome

2005_Chinook_Baja_21_5ft_4x4_Class_C_Motorhome_5f54de799ee761b79408_1.jpg

2005 Chinook Baja 4X4 21.5ft Class C Motorhome. Only one in the World. A concept RV that Chinook and Winchester created together. The two corporations put in over $96,000.00 (documented) worth of upgrades, over and above the Base price of this RV. The list is extensive - here are just a few: Banks performance system, oversized front and back IWC anti-sway bars, full 4X4 conversion (under the authority of Ford - thus fully warranted by Ford), oversized all alum. wheels, and tires (still meets OEM specifications), diamond plate underbody protection, onboard air compressor, GSM house batteries (military spec), 12,000 lb. remote control Warren winch, dual heated seats, all upgraded leather interior, authentic Corian (not fake) countertops with Moen faucet, custom carbon fiber dash/front door accents, heated holding tanks, tile and carpeted floor, hidden safe, new flat screen TV with Bose surround sound, solid maple (not laminate) custom cabinets with black ebony inlay, and Winchester 30-30 brass shell casing inlays, custom solid maple back lighted gun rack, 30-30 brass shell casing inlays molded inside stool seat, granite coat shower, integrated and color matched front and rear bumpers, in dash Sirius satellite radio, 8 full size PIAA lights, custom full body paint with custom airbrushed accents with (tastefully done) airbrushed Winchester logo's - and many more items too many to list here.

Total Awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!

primetime

sawmill slave
Throw a topper on that F-150, pack a bag, and just go. If you wait to long, you`ll have a family and/or other nonsense that will prevent you from going. Take it from a guy who wishes he had. Go see this country before you need a national ID, and there is something left to see.

It does cost big money to build an expedition rig and live that lifestyle. But this couple has been doing it since before I started reading 4x4 mags. http://turtleexpedition.com/

what the heck, those people independently wealthy? must be nice
I got a $300 topper on craiglist for my F350, just slept in it a few weeks ago with a zero degree bag, not too bad.
Drove my Ranger from CA to MI at least seven times, and have slept on the front seat more times than I care to remember, wasn't too bad when I had the dog to prop my feet on ;)

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Justin, you seem to be the one that understands. :D I'd rather do this while I'm young than regret not doing it later on.

Brad, that thing is AWESOME!

First leg of the trip would be Ben's place. :D I've been all the way up the east coast on business, but that's not nearly as fun as taking in the trip along the way. I'm not saying that I'll make this a several years long venture, but there are places I want to see and discover along the way.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I solved that puzzle years ago. '99 VW Eurovan Camper.

buckeyevan.jpg

VR6 didn't make it fast, but compared to earlier Westies it was a rocketship. Had a Wells Cargo enclosed trailer behind it- little weak on storage space. Over 7 years, we took it places off-road you wouldn't believe. All 12 months- ski-bus, snow caving base camp, beach weekender, more trips to the San Juan Islands than I can count, and a couple of long road trips (cruises effortlessly at 75-80 mph). Has a furnace, water supply, 3-way fridge, 2-burner cooktop, closet, two beds. Even a shower out back.

If nothing else, the interior design is worth looking at because of the compact but very useable floorplan.

sleep.jpg

kitchen.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts