Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Confusing myself on lift springs...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I got to thinking (which is always dangerous) about lift springs. Say a vehicle comes stock with lift blocks, and you're looking to purchase a 4" all spring lift, are those springs going to be sitting on top of those blocks? Or, if the blocks are 2.5" tall, the springs would offer a gross lift of 6.5" (over the stock springs), but by eliminating the blocks, you're netting 4"??????

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I know on my 1990 the skyslacker kit (6" all spring) was rated at 6" if you removed the stock blocks (the instructions insisted you MUST remove them) which are about 2" . I left the blocks in to gain that 2" to keep a slightly raked look but it ends up looking almost level anyways since my truck is an ex cab long box, I think on a standard cab or even an ex/sb those extra 2" would be more noticeable.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
When a spring says it will lift a truck 6" it does not take into consideration whether or not the vehicle owner has lift blocks installed. some have them, some don't. With that spring between the the frame and the axle, it will be six inches higher than a factory truck with no block. If a truck has a 2" block, it will then be 8" total lift.

Thats how I see it, not saying that i am right.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
If a truck has a 2" block, it will then be 6" total lift.

I think I fixed it for you, you had me till the end.

If you put 6" lift springs in a truck with factory 2" blocks, the truck will sit 6"s taller than stock. Remove the block and those same 6" springs now provide only 4"s of added height over stock.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
No, a 6" spring lift with a 2" block makes for 8" lift (from the axle)

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
No it's a 6" lift from a 6" spring if the block was , and still is there.

If there were no blocks (factory or otherwise) before the 6" lift spring and a 2" block was added with the 6" spring that equals 8"s of lift.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I think we are in agreement and saying the same thing... I wasn't necessarily talking about a factory block. Thats what I meant in my first post, but I wasn't clear about it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts