Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Common big money salvaged parts

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I suppose 'common' and 'big money' are both subjective terms...but I was just wondering what parts you guys pull from the junkyards that yield the biggest profits for you? Here's my list:

351M/400 oil pan- $25-50
Valve covers- $25/set
Stock intake/carb- $50 (usually to stock restore/rebuild guys)
Hood letters- $25-30/set
Dash knobs- $20 (lights, ww, HVAC)

So what produces your biggest return?

Im starting to get into the pull a part/turn it over for profit, just messing around i pulled a good bench seat, had my old lady reupolster it with a camo pattern and flipped it for $300, bought it for 30, materials were about 50 and her time, she made me clean the house and cook dinner, good trade off lmao

I dunno Ben, I usually buy junk trucks for parts, take what I need then end up giving parts away to somone who needs them. The local Ford crowd treats me the same way though, if they have it and I need it they either give it to me or give me a good deal. I'm in the middle of trying to talk a friend out of a visor for my 76 right now, I think he's gonna let it go cheap. I hope so, I can't find anywhere that makes them any more.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I hear ya man...don't get me wrong, I give and receive my fair share of charity/donations as well. But I don't think offering up a $25-50 oil pan is too bad either, considering aftermarket will run you north of a couple hundred.

Fellro

Staff member
I don't tend to give much up, got the might need it sickness...lol I do give some things up once in a while though.

decent dentside grille surrond and grille $125 (78-79)

I have also been burned, have given somone a good deal and not been treated well in return. My family is on of the worse, I've given my brother all kinds of parts, when he has somthing I need he has to put a price on it (like they say, you can't choose family).

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
decent dentside grille surrond and grille $125 (78-79)

Interesting...around these parts, those are commonly 'thrown in on the deal' as icing on the cake.

I have also been burned, have given somone a good deal and not been treated well in return. My family is on of the worse, I've given my brother all kinds of parts, when he has somthing I need he has to put a price on it (like they say, you can't choose family).

Yeah...I've got a local board that I do alot of trading/selling/buying on...and there are a few guys there that you know to stay away from. You give them the brother in law price to only be returned with full retail price when you need something. Come to think of it...axle shafts seem to be universally the worst, always seem to be about 80% of retail.

Interesting...around these parts, those are commonly 'thrown in on the deal' as icing on the cake.

Yeah...I've got a local board that I do alot of trading/selling/buying on...and there are a few guys there that you know to stay away from. You give them the brother in law price to only be returned with full retail price when you need something. Come to think of it...axle shafts seem to be universally the worst, always seem to be about 80% of retail.

yep, around here a decent grille and surround can go for 125-150

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Bucket seats seem to be hot down here... as well as benches with arm rests/cup holders.

Around here the parts seems to be seller specific. The guy I'm trying to get the visor from "kinda likes" the visor. The truck has a sqare headlight 78/79 grill in perfect condition, and he don't care much about it. I'm trying to get all of it to put on my 76 (I've always liked the 78/79 one piece grill, and don't really care about origionality). I've also got the "racetrack" trim for the dent, and I'm gonna install it when I get around to painting it.

The same guy will sell parts off of cars for dirt cheap, unless it fits a pickup. His dad owned the local junkyard, so cars mean nothing to him. Ford trucks and dodges w/ cummins are gold, but chevies are junk. Dentside and bumpside are his favorite, FE blocks or small blocks (no 335 series engines). The next guy may have a soft spot for 351M/400, you just gotta get to know the locals and what they like. I once had a guy tell me that FE's are ancient boat anchors, a 400 is way superior, and he also thought that a 351M was way better than a 351W since it was based off of a 351C. Worst part of it, I have worked with this guy for years and he's pretty knowledgable on most things. He must have found a few strong 335 series engines in his time (I've seen a few, but gotta say I've seen more strong FE's). But he's easy to score FE parts from, so it evens out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I guess from what I've came across sheet metal always brings in good money and I agree that good grilles have a profit as long as you can get a good used one for cheap. Most people are finding out that parts like grilles and sheet metal are bringing good money, so the profit margin isn't much. Then you have to think about shipping if marketing outside of local for larger items. There can be some great items that will sell for good money if a person is willing to tear a truck completely apart and keep just about anything that's good. For instance, the sleeve bolt to mount the 4x4 shifter (like on my truck). One of those new is around $25 and limited quantity. Granted something else probably can take it's place, but it's a special item. The speedo gear inside a divorced NP205, obsolete and if you can find one it's very very expensive. Cab mount towers, certain steering boxes, D60 parts, headliners, door hardware, etc. Than you get into super cab and crew cab interior parts and panels. If I had the space, I'd get some trucks and strip them down to nothing, keep all the parts and then just try to sell them. I wouldn't throw anything away unless I knew it was junk.

This thread is about 6 months late for me. I just scrapped what was left of the supercab donor for my SC. Nobody wanted it!!! I tossed a LOT of stuff and the only taker I could find was a scrapper. The old 390 still ran althought it had a really bad oil leak and it took a case of oil to get it the 2 hours home. I still have the round headlight grill, and the wide bottom trim for the SC at the cab corners and a few odds and ends. Heck I'd be glad to trade for stuff I need but nobody around here seems to want to mess with old dents. There is one junk yard here that has about 12 old trucks I could get parts from but they want $250 per door and mine look better than the ones they have!!

Vanity Visor
Intermittent Wiper systems
Locking hood assemblies
Tinted Glass
Chrome Rear Step Bumpers
460 Engine mounts
460 AC bracketry
Emblems and Chrome trim
OEM CB Radio and Stereo combo
Speed control parts

In all my wrecking yard travels I was only able to yank one complete Rear axle.I knew because of my health it wasn't worth trying anymore.

Up here we find the best parts on cold winter days.

Because of the tide turning to more Imports being bought, Buying old Ford Car and Truck parts costs have increased at Pick and pull yards

Ie: Ford Explorer...... Glass headlamp ($5.00) compared to Plastic headlamp without Bulb ($35.00)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts