Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cold cranking problems.....Please Help!!!

I have a 2001 F-250, 7.3 diesel. When it is cold outside, (under 50 degrees) I have to plug my block heater in. If I don't plug it in, I have the problem that I am having this morning. When I try to start it, I turn the key, and it acts like the batteries are dead. It wont crank or anything. The solenoid that is mounted on the fender clicks when I turn the key. That is all it will do. I then have to plug the truck in and wait about 2 hours. Eventually it will start to turn over and runs fine. Unfortunately, it is 17 degrees this morning, so I guess even the block heater isn't enough to remedy this problem. It has been plugged in all night but still wont crank. Acts like the batteries are dead. When it warms up, it will start fine. So the batteries are fine. Can anyone help me to diagnose this problem?

:headbang:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'm not to familiar with repairing diesels, but I would test your batteries anyway. Sometimes they act strange in different temperatures. May have a bad cell or something.

I have a 7.3 TD 1994. I had cold start issues , my mechanic said chech
k batteries , glow plugs, and clean the glow plug relays terminals. I replaced both batteries( each one had a dead cell ) and cleaned the terms on the glow plug relay, and she starts in any weather above 0 degrees after wich I plug er in. I replaced glow plugs wen I got the truck in Aug 2011. Hope this helps, JP.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Bring it to a delaer for a free battery check. (I don't care for the parts stores chekers). You'll need both of them to be good. After that, could be something in the glow plugs.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts