Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coil Springs

My 77 F-150 2WD long bed, i figure it is time to replace the coil springs, Question I have a Brand New Set of Coils that Fit a 93 F-150 4x4. Can i use the coils on my 77 If it makes the truck sit higher in the front that's okay.

I don't believe your '94 springs'll work. :/

Get yourself a .001" reading caliper and go to the wrecking yard and
find the ones you want. Measure yours first so you'll know they are
ones you want when you find 'em ;).

BTDT :)

Florida outta have some decent used front springs. :)

The shorter-upper spring is made from thicker wire (.725") and so, is
a stiffer spring tahn the lower one. The lower spring is a stock spring
off an F250 Dent Side (Ford uses wimpy front springs, IMO)...
coilsprings.jpg

At some point you-are gonna-care if it lifts it too dangged much. ;)
This is the measurement Ford calls "ride height"...
rideheight.jpg

^4+1/4" is near the upper limit unless you lower the radius arm and
axle pivot points.

Alvin in AZ
'75 F150 2wd 360FE +T18 <--special ordered it when I was 21 xD

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Ford springs are indeed wimpy... If nothing else, be sure to get the constant rate springs... The variable rate springs are pretty mushy.

Also as Alvin said you really don't want it to lift much because it will throw off your camber.

Check advance auto or somebody... Not too many years ago (2008?) a new set of the 6900# constant rate springs was like $80 or something. Under $100.

the springs i have are constant rate, but question, the new springs are for a 6 cylinder truck and mine is a 8 would wgt work for me or is the Stright 6 heaver then my 8

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Pretty sure if you look into it there is only one spring either way... Lookup one for an I6 and a V8 and I bet you the part number is the same.

Of course mine was a 3/4 ton. Don't recall the difference in the half tons, though I don't think it's much.

If your in doubt, just spec a spring for a truck with the 351m. Should be closer in weight to your w.

As far as I know there is no difference in the hardware on the truck... Only difference is the rate/strength of the spring.

Only different one is for f250/350 over 8600lbs gvwr. It has an eye at both ends, rather than just the bottom.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Hmmm I stand corrected. Looks like for the 2wd 1/2 ton there is only one option... The variable rate part number CC808. That's at advance.

Does your truck have an eye at the bottom end with a large nut and washer holding it down or is it an open coil on both top and bottom?

Hmmm I stand corrected. Looks like for the 2wd 1/2 ton there is only one option... The variable rate part number CC808. That's at advance.

Does your truck have an eye at the bottom end with a large nut and washer holding it down or is it an open coil on both top and bottom?

Eye on the bottom with large nut and washer.

top of spring open coil with a small bolt and clamp to hold it in

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
You should have your pick of springs from half and ld three quarter tons then. That is the most common design...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Yeah but. ;)

We can talk about springs until the cows come home and still be nowhere.
Get a .001" reading caliper and get to lookin' and learnin', you can do it! :)

verniercaliper.jpg

Alvin in AZ is a retired ditch digger and can swap springs and stuff

primetime

sawmill slave
The springs will physically interchange. But like the other guys said, how they effect things is another story. stand them up side by side, see how they match up. You can always cut coils, but keep in mind that raises the spring rate. Don`t use a torch to cut them. They will lose their temper in that area.

The springs will physically interchange. But like the other guys said, how they effect things is another story. stand them up side by side, see how they match up. You can always cut coils, but keep in mind that raises the spring rate. Don`t use a torch to cut them. They will lose their temper in that area.

I Don't cut Springs, I know it can be done but if they don't work for me i will just go and buy the ones to replace the factory.

The truck the springs that fit the 93 i still have that truck, it was a hunting truck and we have broke springs and wear them out fast, so we bought 2 sets to keep on hand.

If i can use them great, if not no big deal. I just have so many ford parts setting on shelf's from 5 different models that i just need to use or trash them.

Just go buy the stock springs for a 77 F150 with 460 and AC

They will raise the truck a bit and not ruin the profile of the wheel alignment.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts