Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

clutch slave cylinder

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Got roped into replacing the clutch in one of the work trucks. 1996 F250 7.3, ZF5.

The throw out bearing was toast (came out in several pieces) which is what prompted tearing into it, but the clutch never slipped. Got it apart and the clutch disk was 80% or better. Like new almost.

Which made us think maybe somebody was riding the clutch? But when we went to reinstall the slave cylinder it seemed to always be putting pressure on the throw out bearing.

Is there someway to adjust it that I'm not seeing? Is there supposed to be a return spring of some kind that's missing? Is the slave cylinder bad? Master cylinder bad?

Any input is appreciated guys. Thanks.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm way outta my area of knowledge here...but if I'm remembering right, those trucks would eat pedal bushings for breakfast.

I remember driving a friend's where after every shift you had to hook your toe under the pedal and pull up that last 1/2", until we got around to replacing the bushings.

Any chance the pedal is "riding itself"?

Fellro

Staff member
The slave has to maintain a little pressure or the linkage would fall out... I agree, check the bushings.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts