Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cleanup that rusty battery tray

Well.. this might be a weird sight for some of you southern guys, but all the trucks I've had up here have accumulated some nasty looking rust on the battery box. So Instead of buying a new one or trying to dig around the junkyard for one mint truck, I figured I'd put some love and care into the old one to make it look decent again. It don't look factory now IMO, but it looks better than rust.

Here's what I started with,

CameraUploads202.jpg

CameraUploads203.jpg

After about an hour of cleaning it up, got some primer on it

CameraUploads205.jpg

And, I forgot to take a pic of the bottom side, but the bottom side I did in high heat flat black, the top I did in flat white with a coat of clear on it.

CameraUploads207.jpg

CameraUploads208.jpg

Just waiting on my next paycheck so I can get a nice new battery to go with it. Now it really shows how crappy the rest of the engine bay looks but oh well, it's a start. For the tiny investment, I like how it came out. Doesn't look brand new, but looks alot better.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Looks good!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Looks nice... I don't think that I've ever seen so much rust on a battery tray. I don't think I even have that much on the truck!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Mine has a hole in it!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Nice turn around. What did you do/use to clean it though? Muriatic acid, wire wheel?

Mostly a couple different styles of wire-wheels. For a few of the rust pieces that were about to come off when I took it off I just used sort of a thick-bladed gasket scraper.

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
looks alot better! paint it black though, stands out like a sore thumb where its so clean and fresh and white

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
looks good, just gotta clean up the rest of it Fightin the rust is an ongoing battle

looks alot better! paint it black though, stands out like a sore thumb where its so clean and fresh and white

Yeah I'll probably go with black if I decide to do the one on my '91 also (this thread is the one on the '94) but it should match better when I cleanup/refurbish more parts, brackets, etc. in the engine bay. I'm trying to do a budget-limited resto to the truck piece by piece.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts