Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Classic Dash Panel Problem

I just received the dash panel I ordered from Classic Dash (http://www.classicdash.com/shopping/LED-and-Terminal-Kit.html) for my 81 F100. I ordered a set of Marshall Instruments gauges for the new panel but was very disappointed when I tried to install the new panel yesterday. On the website, the panel is advertised as an "exact fit" and that it is a direct replacement for the stock dash panel. Not so. The coin tray on the bottom right of the panel is much larger and offset differently in the new panel so that it hits the metal dash brace so there's no way to install it.

I emailed Classic Dash and sent pictures of the dilemma and showed that my truck dash has not been modified so it's a factory brace and was told that I will have to cut the metal brace behind the dash to make the dash panel fit. So they expect me to cut a structural part of the dash to make the new panel fit because it isn't designed correctly. Had this been advertised on the website so that I would have know I would have had to cut the dash support, I would not have bought the dash panel.

Has anyone else dealt with Classic Dash and is there some other solution? I really am unhappy and feel that it's false advertising to say their panel in a direct swap for the factory panel. I really don't want to cut the dash if I don't have to but I don't think anyone else makes a panel that will accomodate the round gauges.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
X2 If you want gauges,tach go to the junkyard and look for a dash that has them and swap them out.

Do you have gauges or idiot lights?

Factory gauges without the tach.

100_3227.jpg

Factory Gauges with Tach

dash-003.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I have the stock gauges just like Ridgerunner's first picture above. The Marshall Instruments gauges I bought are the 65 Mustang Muscle Car gauges and I think they will look great in the truck. I was working with the new panel yesterday and I'll make it work. I decided that I'm not going to cut the dash brace though. Instead, I cut off the little coin tray in the panel that was hitting the brace. I'm going to cut a piece of black plastic and glue it on the panel from behind to cover the hole where the coin tray was.

I just thought maybe someone else had experienced this and had some insight. It just irritates me that Classic Dash advertises this as a bolt in swap and it's anything but. Besides the coin tray problem, the panel is not a great fit so I'm going to have to tweak it. I like the look of the Marshall gauges and I really want the programmable speedometer since I put a 5-speed transmission and larger tires on the truck, so I'll make it work.

I'm used to working on old Mustangs and most parts that are advertised to bolt in usually fit pretty well. I'm ticked that I paid $260 for the Classic Dash panel and it doesn't come close to fitting as advertised and their customer support is terrible.

On a happy note, I was in Sparks, NV last week (I live in southern NM and not much here in the way of salvage yards) and found a Pick n' Pull that was great. It had at least a dozen trucks in my year group and I was able to get a bunch of interior trim parts that I needed and couldn't find online.

Classic Dash Pics

Thought I would post some pics of the stock and dash panels so you can see the difference. You can see the larger coin tray on the Classic Dash panel and one of the pics is from under the dash and shows the coin tray hitting the dash brace. I've since cut the coin tray off the panel. The last pic shows the new panel sitting in place with a couple of the gauges in for a test fit.

View attachment 2157

View attachment 2158

View attachment 2159

View attachment 2160

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would have returned that personally for that kind of money, but I'm sure it will look better when all the gauges are in.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
That is bad. Looks like you have it cut to fit now. But I wonder how hard it would have been to take a stock bezel remove the cluster,then glue or weld a panel (plastic weld) in to hold aftermarket gauges?

Cliff, I tried using a panel to fit in the stock cluster. There is a company (I don't have the website handy) that allows you to design your own panel online and then they cut the piece out of aluminum. I did that but there wasn't quite enough room between the holes in the panel for the gauge bezels. The Classic Dash panel I bought is molded so that the center part where the gauges go is a bit larger than the stock panel so the 6 round gauges will fit. I'm hoping that once I get the gauges in and have time to work with it that I can get the thing to fit without too much of a gap on each side. Just beware if you consider buying one from this company. My experience has not been good with the product or the company.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
You know with companies like that really hurts us who like our trucks and want to customize them. Once they get a bad reputation it's hard to get that back. I am glad you let everyone know about this. from what I have seen in your pictures you will make it work and look great. I really like your gauges. I am interested in seeing what else you plan for your interior.

Last edited:
Need Info On Dash Panel Problem

I hope one of you guys can shed some light on this panel problem to help me and the manufacturer. To be fair, I called Classic Dash today and told the manager about the installation problem. He was very concerned now that he realizes the problem is with his panel and not my stupidity. He has offered me a refund for the panel but I've asked him to see if he can fabricate a panel for me that will fit the dash. He's working on a solution now so I want to be fair and give him a chance before I give him more bad press here.

The problems are obvious in the pictures and became more obvious today when I dropped the steering column thinking it would help ease the installation. The new panel is WAY off. The tabs on the bottom that fit in the slots in the bottom of the dash are larger and offset incorrectly for the F100. Additionally, the holes for the wiper and headlight switches are about 1/2" high in the panel so there is absolutely no way to get the panel all the way on or make it fit. Before I had it sitting in the dash but didn't have the tabs in the slots so it was letting the panel rest on the steering column. To make the wiper and headlight switch line up, I took the bottom tabs out of the slots to let the panel hang down on the outside of the dash and it hangs about 1/2" below the lip of the dash where the tab slots are. Not good.

The rep at Classic Dash said that their prototype was based on a 1985 F350 which he assumed (and I did as well) was the same as all the F models for 1980 - 1985. Apparently this isn't so. So they have been manufacturing all their panels based on that theory. Does anyone know what the differences are? This is my first experience restoring a truck since I've always done Mustangs, so I'm out of my element here. I thought the F models for those years were the same as far as the size and fit of the interior pieces. I've sent Classic Dash a bunch of pictures to show everything so they can make a panel that fits the F100 and they are working on it so kudos to them for offering me a refund and trying to make a correct panel. Film at 11.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I always thought they were the same too. I have had F-100 - F250 in the 80-86 years and they look the same to me. I will be going to the junkyard next week and check a few out. I am looking for a wood grain bezel for my truck.

5.0 Flareside, that's what I've thought and always been told. It's interesting because the rep at Classic Dash said they have never had a problem with the panel. Hard to believe I'm the first one to have a problem unless they haven't sold many panels. I'm thinking the same way you are but I'll give the guy a chance to come back with something. Amazing that the company would build a mold for a product and sell it without checking the fit of all the models though.

I always thought they were the same too. I have had F-100 - F250 in the 80-86 years and they look the same to me. I will be going to the junkyard next week and check a few out. I am looking for a wood grain bezel for my truck.

I swapped my dash, and both you and Chris are right. No difference in those years for the dash or all of the other interior parts. I know first hand since I've already been down the "upgrade your interior"

it's easy, relatively quick, and it's plug&play as long as you get the required electrical harnesses.

Is there any extra wiring for the tach if you already have gauges?

No Cliff, the new dash with the tach will have the proper printed circuit board, so all you do is plug the donor cluster into your existing harness. Or if you have only picked up the tach by itself, you will need to get the circuit board. See my photo gallery, has all the pic's of the swap. :)

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
No Cliff, the new dash with the tach will have the proper printed circuit board, so all you do is plug the donor cluster into your existing harness. Or if you have only picked up the tach by itself, you will need to get the circuit board. See my photo gallery, has all the pic's of the swap. :)

I will thanks

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts