Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Choosing Valve springs

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey guys...I'm wondering what goes in to choosing the correct valve springs and how to go about it. I know diameter and spring rating comes in to play, but how do you know how much spring is enough spring?

The cam mfgr will recommend one right on the cam card. With a rv style cam that isn't radical you can usually get away with running a set of 351CJ springs if you were to come across a used set but if you are buying a new set just get what they say, springs aren't pricey.

TMI sells a set of spings with lockers retainer and seals that are good for most rv cams and at a really good price, call him

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
TMI sells a set of spings with lockers retainer and seals that are good for most rv cams and at a really good price, call him

I did...and he put me on them. That was actually what got me wondering, because I didn't figure engine builders are referring to the cam manufacturer for what springs they should use. I figure they some how figure out what the best diameter, rating, etc. would be. Or is that comparing apples to oranges and with a stock/mild build springs are springs and let the manufacturer figure it out? I just thought somebody somewhere has to figure out which springs fit with which cam profiles and I wanted to know how to figure that out.

Its more like a range for certain type of cams, its not that precise as you are thinking, besides he has ALOT of experience so you wont go wrong there. Trust those springs they are good for.

Oh and for reference, go to compcams.com and open up the spec card for different Hyd flat tappet cams and see what they recomend for springs, you will be surprised to see they mostly recomend the same springs fro most cams in a wide range...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Interesting...thanks for the info Joe.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts