Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Check Engine Light

Got a CEL that goes on shortly or right after start up then stays on for about 10 to 15 minutes. Going to get a code reader sometime, more info to come.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
For a 88 all you need is a test light and a paper clip to read the codes.
Might even flash the cel when you short the connector. Dome years didn't flash the cell.

For a 88 all you need is a test light and a paper clip to read the codes.
Might even flash the cel when you short the connector. Dome years didn't flash the cell.

I know you can flash it but I'm going to pick a a code reader anyway. Not much money and nice to have.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I paid $20 for my OBDI Ford code reader and it was worth all of the $20 I gave for it. Let us know what it says.

Ryan

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
A piece of electrical tape over the light works, too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
A piece of electrical tape over the light works, too.

HEHE...I like to call that one ol' trusty. I've driven a few chit boxes, where the only thing not electrical taped over was the speedo...ahaha.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Electrical tape did the trick, huh?

Taking the bulb out is much more better fix. LOL

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
No, tape is quicker and easier. Thats what maintenance is all about. quick and easy.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
semi clear masking tape, that way you cant read what it says but you get a orange glow so at night with the green from the guage cluster, red from the needles and orange you can pretend your flying a spaceship

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
semi clear masking tape, that way you cant read what it says but you get a orange glow so at night with the green from the guage cluster, red from the needles and orange you can pretend your flying a spaceship

sounds like you speak from experiance smiliegitrdone

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
hell yeah I got green from guages, red from needles, orange from CEL, green from CB and red and blue from the fuzz buster..im goin to the friggin moon when i drive! Of course the guages are just for looks except the fuel, temp and OP cause my speedo and tach aint hooked up to anything

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I have green lights on my dash too, but the oil pressure and fuel gauges don't light up, and the temp and i forgot what the other is... amps maybe (don't work, never had a reason to look at it). so all I have to look at is the speedo, and I have green from my CB.

It's all one color for me..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
hell yeah I got green from guages, red from needles, orange from CEL, green from CB and red and blue from the fuzz buster..im goin to the friggin moon when i drive! Of course the guages are just for looks except the fuel, temp and OP cause my speedo and tach aint hooked up to anything

Good thing you're not epileptic.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts