Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carnage Pictures

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Todd,

Matt was out of town for a few days working, and just got back in last night and hadn't had any sleep for about 40-hours, this morning he was going to a dino run. He should be back with you by Monday.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Note the gear is on the end of the crankshaft. Thus a stronger material and binding up again could possibly take out the crankshaft. I'll stick with the softer ones. Also, the softer stock gears from Ford are $16.66 and the H-11 Tool Steel gears are $1100.00 with no guarantee. Yeah, I'm sticking with Ford gears. There is a way to help prevent the binding with the stockers though. You shave off just under a thousandth of an inch off the teeth and radius the edges both front ond back of both gears just a touch. Of course, I got this information AFTER I already put the new ones in.

Question: Wouldn't shaving a thousand off the bull gear lower your low pressure............well oil pressure?

Yep, that about sums it up. The LPOP feeds oil to the HPOP as well as the rest of the normal lubricating that takes place. One nice feature of this set-up is, you loose the LPOP and the engine just quits so you don't do any further damage by running it dry.

Thats what I thought, but I wanted somebody who knew for sure to verify that for me. I've read just enough to be dangeros with a socket set ;)

Gunner

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Question: Wouldn't shaving a thousand off the bull gear lower your low pressure............well oil pressure?
It shouldn't lower it by much if at all. I know where it usually is, so if we do this for the next set, yeah I know I'm gonna blow them again, then I'll see for sure if it does.

Thats what I thought, but I wanted somebody who knew for sure to verify that for me. I've read just enough to be dangeros with a socket set ;)
Believe it or not, I don't know that much either. I'm learning by reading what everyone else is doing and has blown up too. :) This truck is my first diesel.

Wow, this was your first kick at diesels.... You don't do things by half measures do you? Like I'm one to talk, but I cut my teeth with diesels so at least I missed the baptism by fire you're getting. :beer:

You'll get this worked out and get back to playing soon enough BdayBigGrin

He just needs to put in some serious overtime in the kitchen to pay for his problems.

No Sundays off for you mister!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Wow, this was your first kick at diesels.... You don't do things by half measures do you?
I didn't start off thinking I was going to do this to it though. I bought it for work to pull a boat. ROFL Thenmy buddy asked me if I'd pull his drag car trailer to the track one weekend. While we were there, I saw some othe diesels running for a Test n' Tune. He said you ought to try it. After 10 minutes of him talking to me about it, I thought why not. Well, one truck beat mine and my buddy said I should get a tuner and show him. So I did, and it ain't stopped since, well, 'til now. lol

You'll get this worked out and get back to playing soon enough BdayBigGrin
I do plan on building another up with the lessons I've learned, but it'll b a much slower process and on a block not currently in the truck. I'm gonna start one from scratch and build it up slowly until it's ready, then transfer it. I don't have a complete spare ready to go like I did and I really can't afford another one. I'm still paying for the mods from round one!

It doesn't take long to go down the rabbit hole does it? :rolling laugh:

Then you look around and find out theres no end to it.... there's always bigger, better, faster, lighter, more power ARGH! ARGH! ARGH! :WooHoo:

I began my foyer with PMS wanting to lightly build a mill for 500000 miles and now look at me [confused] .....

The decisions are so easy.... That's a good idea I should do that..... Then before you know it you're thinking "I could remortgage the house.... that's a reasonable idea...." :drop: Well not really, but I can see how it would happen. :D

Well... Here's to being at the bottom of the same hole beer drinking smilie

Then before you know it you're thinking "I could remortgage the house.... that's a reasonable idea...."....

Been there done that actually. My house was paid for and I took out a home loan to go buy the 56. I wanted one from age 14 and at age 38 decided I had waited long enough.YelloThumbUp

Life is too short. No clue how many times I almost died without every having my truck that I wanted.

No regrets. It will be paid off again soon. It was a small loan. I just needed cash which I didn't (still don't) have.

Been there done that actually. My house was paid for and I took out a home loan to go buy the 56. I wanted one from age 14 and at age 38 decided I had waited long enough.YelloThumbUp

Life is too short. No clue how many times I almost died without every having my truck that I wanted.

No regrets. It will be paid off again soon. It was a small loan. I just needed cash which I didn't (still don't) have.

I hear you... I've adopted a bit of that philosophy myself. (if you've seen my engine build thread you'll know BdayBigGrin ).

You never know what's gonna happen so live like you mean it...:beer:

Sometimes there are certain advantages to size :)

I'm certainly not a wealth of knowledge on the old stuff, the only vintage equipment I've played with are tractors and some old hit or miss engines; not really that applicable to automotive issues I'm afraid :(

And sadly the connections I have for antique cars are all chevy guys... :redface:

I am learning. I didn't even know that a Y-block existed until I found this truck. Tacson found it for me...I should say. Yes...I know his real name, but won't post it in here.

I wanted a hotrod, shaved, lowered, IFS, IRS, modern fuel injected engine, 5 speed, bucket seats, etc. All ford of course. YelloThumbUp

That is not what I ended up with, but I love driving the old truck around.

I am way off topic in your thread. Sorry.

You can have one of the admins delete all of this if you want. :D

No worries.... It's not my thread.... :rofl:

Sorry Todd... We've hijacked your thread :eek:

The old trucks in stock trim do have a certain charm to them... I can't stand driving them though... My knees can't take the abuse. I'm 6'4" and apparently before 1970 everyone was 5'2" [confused]

Sorry Todd...get one of them to delete all this if you want.

I am short. Just 6'. The 56s have a little more room than the 53-55 did in the cab, but I can't explain why. Maybe it just seems that way to me. [confused]

A buddy of mine has a 53. I am soooo close to the headliner in it..... I have not driven his of course.

I don't know, I remember constantly smashing my knee into either the dash or the column every time I used the clutch..... But that was a grain truck (3 ton) that I think was a '52.... Although they didn't vary the cabs very much back then.

The 52 frames are narrower (on the small trucks). The cabs are the same on the small or large trucks (of the same year). I have not been in one to compare sizes.

I have tons of room, but I am not as tall as you are. So far, I have never hit my knees on anything.

You're a lucky man sir.... :) I never had any headroom problems.. just knees :) Pray you never have to drive a cabover of that vintage.... You'll feel like you play for the NBA ;) I had the misfortune of having to move a cabover Mack of that era (about a '58) and it was the longest 150 miles of my life :(

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
GET OFF MY THREAD!! ROFLMAO J/K. No big. Just talkin' trucks baby!! Love'em all. I'd love a 56 with my old souped up 700HP diesel in it!! Now THAT would be a dream truck!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts