Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Careful where you run wires

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Can you belive what I am about to say?

Chris is right. If you are adding auxillary things to a vehicle...get a fuse block. They are cheap and work well. I actually have one sitting on a shelf (along with switches and relays), but I have never added anything to the truck that needs them yet.

I do want some driving lights eventually, but they are way down the list of importance right now.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Yea i have only like 2 or 3 things right now, nope only 2 a set of lights, which has an inline fuse, and my amp, which would be to big for a fuse block anyway, also has inline fuse..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Tex-- got my distribution block at NAPA. The 6-output was only $10 or $15.

Just make sure it is rated to handle whatever you are trying to run off of it-- it should give you ratings somewhere on the block or on the packaging. Obviously you're not going to want to run 6 sets of high-output/high-current lights on 1 block.

Also be sure that the supply wire is large enough to handle all the load you'll be sending through the block. That supply wire is the bottleneck of the whole system-- all current being drawn by the accessories has to go through that supply wire, so keep that in mind ;)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
What part of your stereo? Not auxiliary amplifiers I hope... That kind of stuff requires 0/1 gauge power cables (ie, THICK AS HELL!)

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
actually the big boys run with SEVERAL runs of 4/0 or larger...

I was goin to run 500mcm for my main power wire...
But decided i wanted a different project...

I wire industrial machinery for a living, I run my own company. I've been doing it for about 20 years, I'm always amazed at how some "professionals" route wire. I've worked on machines where wires go through small holes in metal without a rubber bushing or grommet, and no extra slack. I always use a grommet, or some kind of insulator when running through our over metal.

An electrical engineer let me in on a little electric secret, all of the stuff in an electrical circuit is filled with smoke. The trick is not to let the smoke escape. Makes sense to me.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
LOL, I definitely let the smoke out, but only some of it cause everything worked when I wired it back up. Lucky, I know.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts