Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carburetor

Hey guys,

Gonna be rebuilding my carb. Here are the numbers off of the tag: D7TE CUA D8E22. How do I know if I have an electric choke, or a climactic choke? The truck has always been in Denver, so I assume it has the high altitude equipment. There's also a leak on the carb, I've included a pic, and the area circled in red, is where the fuel is leaking from. Thanks as usual.

carbleakpic.jpg

Before you spend money on a rebuild kit you need to check the throttle rod bushings for being worn out

Bring the engine up to normal operating temp.. with choke off and at idle point an valve open, unlit, propane torch at both sides of the throttle rod bushings

If the engine increases revs don't bother rebuilding it.

You will need to get another one that has been rebuilt with bsuhing replaced and they only do that at the rebuilders.

an electric choke has a connector the side of the choke cover like this one

2150carb2.jpg

Ok. Is the thing I circled the throttle rod bushing? So if the bushings are worn out, it'll suck in propane and the revs will increase? I put that tag number into the LMC website and it took me to choke thermostats instead of carburetors, guess it's not for the carburetor itself then.

No that thing you circled the accelerator pump.

The throttle shaft bushings are on either side of the carb

The butterflies are connected to the shaft

The bushing end up wearing out and leak air throwing the air/fuel mixture and vacuum off

2150carexploded.jpg

Ok, I did the thing with the propane bottle and didn't notice any increase in revs, so I guess those bushings are ok. Now the question is, the truck is running well already, and the only real problem is the leaking accelerator pump. Should I go ahead and rebuild the carb, or just get a new accelerator pump?

They sell just the pump..so stick with that for now

Try NAPA for a carb kit. Just give them the number off your tag, D7TE-CUA. That should be all they need to give you the right kit.
But if the only thing wrong is a leaky accelerator pump, the pump diaphragm is available separatley and very easy to replace (four screws).

Motorcraft # CT-1261 for the kit

Ford Truck Articles