Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carburetor questions

Ok, so I went out today and took my carburetor off, which leads me to my questions. I broke a couple of pieces which you'll see in the pictures oulined in red. Are these pieces readily available? Also, how much of these parts are washable. Not with the solvent, but with dishwashing detergent and water. Thanks guys.

Picture325-1.jpg

Broke the little "t" connector thing for some vacuum lines

Picture327-1.jpg

There's a metal line wrapped with that cloth that when I was moving stuff around, the bottom of that line was rusted and snapped off a plate that mounts on the intake manifold

Picture326-1.jpg

And the plate bolted to the manifold that the metal line in the previous picture broke off from. Looks like I'll need that plate and both lines that come off of it. How available is that? I can't imagine I'm the first person that's happened to.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hmm, i've been trying to think back on my gen 6 trucks if i recognized any of those, I must have lost some brain cells :D
Allot of those kinds of parts are not being made aftermarket, if your local parts store cant get them your best bet is junk yard or upgrade your carb and manifold to some thing newer..
Sorry maybe some body with a more extensive parts knowledge can pipe in.
the small plastic vac parts are easy to find at any well stocked parts store.
every thing metal is washable with carb cleaner the rubber vac lines really aren't just replace those when you can pretty much every thing will eat them up and when you get even small cracks in them they can cause hell with your engine. so just replacing them is the best thing you can do.

Last edited:
I have both those parts

What engine is this for ?

The bottom one is normally a heat stove

It cycles warm vacuum through the choke housing for faster turn choke off

altitude has nothing to do with these 2 parts.

Only the tubing not the part

At least it is for an M block so that part is available on thousands of cars and truck in wrecking yeard

EGR valve

I'm rebuilding my carb, and my EGR valve is really dirty. I'm wondering if I can clean it somehow, either a dip in carb cleaner, or soap and water. Or is it just easier to replace it? Thanks guys. The number on it is D8TE 9D475 A2a.

IMO, all that smog crap doesn't need to be kept. Remove and block off the "plate" ...

The plastic T is easily found in your auto parts "Help!" section

The EGR prevents pinging predetonation especially at higher altitudes

Hey GHoss, Thanks so much. I've been there a couple of times, got some good stuff. That orange extended cab F150 was brought in the day I was there. They drove it in, and supposedly they were going to sell it as a whole unit, but last time I was there, pulled some parts off of it, guess they changed their mind.

We’ll have to get together some weekend I owned one like yours before. Now driving a '79 Bronco. live in Montbello

Before/After

Finished up the carb rebuild. I want to go get some new vacuum hoses tomorrow and the other piece I broke at the pull and pay. Included a couple of pics to show the difference.

Picture332.jpg

Oily mud covering nearly every surface.

Picture330.jpg

After cleaning and rebuilding.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Looks good. I'll send you mine next time it needs rebuilding YelloThumbUp

Lol not sure I want to get into the business of rebuilding them :) But we'll see how it actually runs when I put it back on the manifold, hope I got everything back together correctly. Noticed a lot of carbon inside the manifold, and I'm wondering if I should put some Sea Foam into the gas tank, or will that mess up the cleaned up carb too much and clog stuff up?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Use the seafoam by putting it through a vacuum hose to the intake if you want. Shouldn't hurt anything with the new carb. I used a different type of cleaner on my old truck with a freshly rebuilt carb and I didn't have an issue.

Well, went out today and finished putting the carb back on. I hate having to wait to have one thing completed before I can do the next. Picked up two of the choke stove things at the pull and pay place, cleaned them up, they look almost new. However, the bends aren't quite right, and I can't get the brass nut threaded onto the choke housing. Any ideas? But I started it up, and it seems to run fine, and took it around the block a couple of times. Thought something was drastically wrong when I put it in gear to go forward, it was jumping and then it died. Then I realized that the parking brake was still on, so once I released that, it worked fine. Oh another thing, when I was putting the EGR back on, I over tightened it, and the steel part on the EGR valve cracked. Not all the way through, but just wondering if it'll be ok, or should I get a new one?

You can bend the tubing on that part if you heat it with a propane torch

Ford Truck Articles