Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carburetor expert needed.

Or a Rochester Quadrajet. I'd take one of them - I hear the're good carbs...

Negative Ghost Rider. I had one brand new out of the box and it gave me headaches from the start. But I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought one cause I've heard they're either lemons or badass right outta the box...if you get a good one though, they're indestructible and work great in off-road angles where other carbs sputter and flood out. I just dont feel like wading through a sea of bad carbs to find the one gem lol

Okay guy you're going to love this.
It is scanned from my Grade 11 Automotive Text book back in 1966.

It is from the Fuel section and write about Ford Carbs.

So this is what I was TAUGHT in high school.Enjoy the read In #1

SchoolTextCarb.jpg

Okay guy you're going to love this.
It is scanned from my Grade 11 Automotive Text book back in 1966.

It is from the Fuel section and write about Ford Carbs.

So this is what I was TAUGHT in high school.Enjoy the read In #1

SchoolTextCarb.jpg

Hmm so basically they aren't even sure of the exact procedure lol

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Dennis...is that's a pretty cool little excerpt...I wish my high school woulda had an automotive class.

I was the first student to graduate from that High school with both a matriculation and a technical education.

usually it was one or the other.. but apparently ...I was special.
back then 3 years H/S Automotive's was worth 1 year apprenticeship.

If you understand what the vacuum gauge is telling you, it will help you understand what you're doing. I'm not the greatest at describing something but I'll give it a try, probably really get you confused. With the engine ideling, the carb butterflys are in a set position, letting a set amount of air into the engine. As you turn the mixture screws you are changing the air/fuel ratio thus making the engine run better (faster) or worse (slower). The engine will run its best when the air/fuel mixture is correct. Since only a set amount of air can pass through the carb., the faster the engine runs, the higher vacuum it pulls or creates. A real sensitive tachometer will do the same but the vacuum gauge seems to be a little more accurate. I personally like to get the highest vaccum and then open the screws around 1/8 to 1/4 turn to give it just a little richer mixture.

Also if you mess with the air mixture screws you should get it retimed to to make it run the best. I tuned the carb on my truck but didnt redo the timing still ran like crap but then i did the timing runs awsome now.

Sorry but, timing is a Mechanical thing and needs to be set up BEFORE adjusting the carb mixture screws.

Also remember that ids the Throttle shaft is worn out and leaking .. all the adjustments in the world won't matter.. You have to make sure the vacuum system is securely sealed.

Most people forget about the vacuum line down to the transmission modulator which is highly prone for leaks.

From the Ford Technician Training manual.

VacuumGaugeandTiming.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles