Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carb?

I just bought a 1978 F-150 4x4 with F-250 Drivetrain. It has a 429 pretty much stock other than performer intake and headers. There is an old Holley on it now that is not in great condition. I want to buy a new one with electric choke. I do not want to have to fool with it one it is installed. I was thinking about a Edelbrock performer 750. any suggestions?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Edelbrock is a good choice. They are usually dead on right out of the box. Welcome to FTF!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Holley Truck Avenger, I have one and am very happy with it. Mines a 670, you may want a 770 with a 429.

SC
Dont over carb your motor.

I think you'll find a 670 will be more than adequate for a 429.

Using the CFM formula, a 6000rpm ceiling and .80 Volumetric Efficiency for a mildly built motor you cant use but 595cfm at WOT. If its a stock rebuild use .75 for even less CFM at WOT. To big of a carb will cause it to bog off the line.

(Engine Size CID) x (Max RPM) x VE / 3456 = CFM

I havent had good luck with Edelbrocks. Personally, I wont run anything but Quickfuels but for this application I think a Holley or even an Edelbrock would do fine.

Last edited:
People need to think MORE AIR not ..fuel... all the time.

Why do you think they make turbo-chargers ?..... to get more oxygen in the combustion chamber for more powerful burning.

SC
Regardless an engine is an air pump. It can only take so much in and can only let so much out. I use the cfm formula because it tells you the maximum amount of CFM your engine can use under ideal circumstances at wide open throttle. You also can factor in that box stock Holleys and Edelbrocks do not flow their advertised cfm. A 750 might actually flow somewhere in the high 600s and no two are the same. This being said my suggestion of a mid 600cfm carb will put you about as close to perfect as a mildly rebuilt 429 is going to get while giving you the best compromise of low end grunt and high RPM flow. Over carbing is probably the biggest mistake made in engine building.

If its a stock rebuild Id go with a 600. Dennis correct me if Im wrong, but that was the size Ford used on the Holleys and Autolites for 460s in 79.

Last edited:
SC
coil or leaf sprung front?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Just thought I'd say hi Kris. Haven't seen you for a while.

And yeah 770 may be over carbing a 429.

But turbo's adding air, yeah that's their purpose. But with any turbo system there is also the added fuel requirement. LEAN=BAD RICH=SAFETY FACTOR

SC
Whats up Lee....its been a while.

Basically a turbo and a supercharger do the same thing. They force air into the air pump that it could not suck in under its own power. More air more fuel more fire....take one item out the mix and youve got problems.

SC
Very nice.

Id like to see some pics of that thing.

i aggree with crazy04 600 cfm is a good choice i perfer edelbrock my self as i found hollys to run too rich my 460 s/c with mild cam,headers/duels aluminum intake runs real good with a 600 and my 501 stroker has a 750 on it but done up pretty good with custom cam,10.1 compression,headers duels air gap intake and i still get about 15 to 16 mpg with the gearvenders overdrive units on them
and by the way welcome regurds joe

I bought a Edelbrock 650 today and hope to install over the weekend. I called them and spoke to a tech and that is what they recommended. If you want to see pics of the truck, go to my gallery. I tried to post some, but I duplicated some and I don't know how I did that.

SC
;-)

Good luck with it.

Ford Truck Articles