Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Carb decision

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
Help! I can't decide which way to go on a carburetor for my '79 460. It currently has the spreadbore factory intake with a 4350 motorcraft carb. Engine is stock except for the melling mtf-3 cam.

i can get a spreadbore to square flange adapter for about 50 bucks and look for a used holley or edelbrock or...

I found an almost new edelbrock performer RPM manifold for 150 (then find a used square flange holley or edelbrock) or...

I can get a rebuilt motorcraft 4350 for around $200.

I like the giant secondaries of the 4350. i don't really drive the truck much, so fuel economy is not a concern (not sure which combo would provide the extra 1/2 mpg anyway :wavey: )

just like to hear everyone's opinions. Thanks!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Is there something wrong with what you have now? Maybe a simple rebuild would help.

I wouldn't go for the Performer RPM personally. Your particular situation would better suit the regular Performer, better for low end torque.

As far as carburetors are concerned, a rebuilt version of what you have would work well, but if you are looking for an upgrade, a 670-700 Holley would be a good choice, though not very beneficial, IMO.

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
Is there something wrong with what you have now? Maybe a simple rebuild would help.

The original 4350 is long gone and the current carb is a frankenstein holley so i'm looking to wipe the slate clean so to speak...I might check out ebay for a used 4350 and rebuild it

Dirky, thanks for the advice on the intake. I hadn't researched that intake to check out its rpm range.

Don't by an RPM performer for street use

The RPM is for Track use ..The power band in the stock 460 starts at 2200 rpm and ends at 4400

Just get the Performer or the Weiand Avenger with a 650 cfm carb

One of the best Ford carbs was the 60's Holley design 4160 that had a low profile.

I have 2 used ones in the garage that I picked up at wrecking yards.

Last edited:
The original 4350 is long gone and the current carb is a frankenstein holley so i'm looking to wipe the slate clean so to speak...I might check out ebay for a used 4350 and rebuild it

Dirky, thanks for the advice on the intake. I hadn't researched that intake to check out its rpm range.

No problem! They call it the Performer "RPM" for a reason. :wavey:

mm_0_mm,

Sorry to drag this one out of the archives, but I don't have enough posts to pm you.

How did the carb from carbx work out. I am in a similar situation and looking to get my 460 smoothed out.

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
it worked out well. Obviously with the myriad of different 4350's over the years you might not get an exact match (the one I received had a fuel bowl vent, my original didn't)....otherwise I installed it and it fired right up. The core I returned wasn't in the best of shape, but they returned my core charge with no problem.

Thanks for the reply. I need to make sure I have a core on mine that they will take. The guy I bought the truck from had tried a couple of different carbs trying to get it to run better, but it is had to start and has issues with the secondaries.

My truck is a beater so there is alot to tweak on besides the carb.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts