Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

can you drive a stick? non-synchro?

can you drive a _____

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i had to say yes for the syncros since ive never driven a non-syncrod one before... only gears in mine that arent syncrod is reverse... but like chris said earlier i drive by feel and sound of the engine.. i hardly ever look at the tacs or speedos... did when i first got both (truck didnt even have a tach when i first got it.. just a gas gauge and speedo).. now the only time i look at the speedos is to make sure im not going so fast i get any driving award lol..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Never tried a non-synchro but my previous truck had a 5 speed synchro'd and I was a stud with it by the time I sold it. MG is also a stick.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Being an ex-quarry worker, I think Tony can relate to this. I grew up in the shadow of a rock quarry and went to work there during the summer and even when home on leave from the Army. They had three off road haul trucks, one was a Cat 769 that was a Cadillac to the two R-20 Euclids (Eucs). Those Eucs had 5 speed manual transmissions in them the size of a Ranger pickup and the teeth on the gears must have been a inch apart......or at least it felt that way if you'd miss a shift.

The most fun were the drilling rigs. When mining slowed down, we branched out to drilling water wells. I had a blast driving the drills to the jobsites. We ran IR rd20's, similar to the pics. The ones that we had were older. They were powered by 12v71 detroits and backed by 15 speed fullers.

The worst experience I had with one was bringing one up out of the hole at the quarry. It needed serviced, so it had to be brought up to our shop. It was a rainy day and everything was slick. About 3/4 of the way up, I missed a downshift and couldn't catch any gear. I had to come to a stop and start all over, but the road had turn to slick mud from the rain. I couldn't get it going, so I had to back it all the way back down and start over.

drill-rig-for-sale.jpg

ingersol%20rand%20drilling%20rig.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ive drove stick since ive started driving, but have never attempted a non-syncro manual. its really sad how the manual transmission is dissappearing. id rather have a std than a auto unless im in heavy city traffic. (or a drive-thru)

even then i prefer them.. but id just rather have a stick cuz it puts me in total control of the transmission than when you have an auto its controlled by either hydraulic pressure or computer sensors... have had too many autos with problems from either computer issues or sensors malfunctioning to really trust them again... but from the ways the trucks are losing the option its looking like im gonna be SOL and have to have an auto..

my current trucks a stick and my stangs a stick.. would never think of having them any other way..

I've never (AFIK) had a non-synco before so ibk on that one, but I do prefre a std tranny to an auto tranny..

emtzach

i get paid to do this
first non sinc was a 68 Mack pumper fire truck at my old firestation. took some getting used to but got good at it. crazy tho had to remember different shift points depending on if the water tank was full or not, lot of windy hills in bolton, i think they retired that truck a couple years back tho

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
ive driven evrything from a 3on the tree to an rtlo18 with good luck. but after 18 years drivin semi's when i get home i like to put my pick-up in drive to get home!

Yeah, I can drive them both, but my hats still off to an guy I knew back in the sixties that drove a semi with a twin-stick (two transmissions back to back). The crazy thing was he had lost his left arm just below the elbow and would hook his stump in the wheel and jam both those sticks flawlessly.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
The most fun were the drilling rigs. When mining slowed down, we branched out to drilling water wells. I had a blast driving the drills to the jobsites. We ran IR rd20's, similar to the pics. The ones that we had were older. They were powered by 12v71 detroits and backed by 15 speed fullers.

The worst experience I had with one was bringing one up out of the hole at the quarry. It needed serviced, so it had to be brought up to our shop. It was a rainy day and everything was slick. About 3/4 of the way up, I missed a downshift and couldn't catch any gear. I had to come to a stop and start all over, but the road had turn to slick mud from the rain. I couldn't get it going, so I had to back it all the way back down and start over.

drill-rig-for-sale.jpg

ingersol%20rand%20drilling%20rig.jpg

Tomny your a god!
Hey!
Can someobody tell ./ ,,.me way you cant float the fears of a non sycro trans??

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
cause there is no syncro gear there...
Floating or glide shifting requires synchro gears, other wise the shaft speeds never have an opportunity to be the same speed so you can glide into gear, or float... Which ever you call it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts